Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I have an Epson All in one printer WF-3540, it stopped

Customer Question

I have an Epson All in one printer WF-3540, it stopped printing. I'd try printing from the scanner bed and direct to the computer with wires still don't print. Can you please help me?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try doing a photocopy of one page laid face down on the scanner glass. Does that come out with anything but a blank page?

- if the page from photocopying is blank too, you have a problem on your printer, and I would have to ask then: Has it had a period of disuse or storage lately? amounting to at least 1 week turned Off.

- if the page comes out OK (or with a color of ink or two missing but by and large otherwise normal) then you have a problem on your computer, or, a problem with the interface electronics of the printer. Much more likely a problem on the computer... both wireless and wired interfaces going bad at once? is quite unlikely.

Let me know, and let me know what computer you have (Windows PC, or Apple computer?) and whether you want to try to get wireless working first, or USB-interface printing, and I will advise you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm using a HP Pavilion Laptop. The printer is used every day or every other day. It has not been turn off for more than 3- 4 days max in the last four months. I think the print head may be clogged.

Try doing a photocopy of one page laid face down on the scanner glass.

Does that come out with anything but a blank page?

If it produces a blank page, the printhead may be clogged. Esp. likely, if you have been using non-Epson-OEM ink supplies, or refills, or remanufactured or 'Epson compatible' cartridges.

To try to clear up the clogged printhead (if that's what really seems to be causing the problem) do a series of cleanings with pauses and wait time between.

In outline:

1. Clean the (black) printhead.

2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)

This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.

3. Clean the printhead a second time.

4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.

5. Clean the printhead a third time.

Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead.

After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead (which will cost something considerable, more than you would think usually) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.)

So (if the test photocopy comes out blank) try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you (so I can advise you further...)... or if it does help (- I always like to hear that something I recommended has worked!)