John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a HP Officejet 5740 wireless printer and I can't get

Customer Question

I have a HP Officejet 5740 wireless printer and I can't get it to print from my PC. I ran the troubleshooter and it had no solution. Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 6 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.

May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I don't want to spend that kind of money.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I just get an answer and fix it myself with your help?

That's possible as well. Can you check and confirm if the printer is connected to your wifi first? If it is, then try accessing the printer ip address in the browser's address bar to see if it returns the printer page. If it is not, then connect it to your wireless router and then test.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where do I find the IP address for printer?

There are two ways to check that:
via the printer control panel from the network settings.
via the router (by logging into it) and viewing the connected clients list, and then checking each IP connected to find out which one it is.

via the printer, it is easier. however if it looks difficult then just reconnect the printer to wireless router, and once it is connected (re-add) it to your system via Devices and Printers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK I found the webpage is that what I need? The IP address is: fe80::d2bf:9cff:feef:4d68%7

Are you able to get to the web page of the printer from your computer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Good. Now click Start -> search for devices and printers, click add and wait for it to search for the printer, once it finds the printer select it and add it and then test.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found printer but I cannot find where to Add it and test.

Go to Devices and Printers and click Add a Printer or Add Printer and tell me the options it lists.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok it has Add a device, Add a printer, start scam, see what's printing, Print server properties, remove device

choose Add a printer and tell me the options it lists

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It says to choose a device or printer to add to this PC

It should your printer in the dialog, choose it and click next

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it says to enter WPS Pin. It says that it is on the Officejet or int he info that came with it. I need to go and ask the person who set this up originally

Something's not right and it should not be asking for the WPS Pin. Is your computer connected wirelssly to the router? how did you access the printer page earlier?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is asking for the WPS PIN. I just don't know where I find that. the person who set it up when we bought it says it never asked him for this pin.

It should not be asking for the pin if it is connected to the router. I beleive, you have the printer setup to broadcast it's own wifi. How did you access the printer page?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He said that it is a wifi printer and he didn't need a wps pin.

This is what i am saying as well and i know it shouldnt be asking for a wps pin. I beleive, you have the printer setup to broadcast it's own wifi. How did you access the printer page?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
devices and printers. My PC is the only one that won't find the printer and just print. It can't connect to it evidently
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it says this is a networked device

I've run out of ideas unfortunately, i will opt out and open the question to other experts.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try this another time as I have to get to bed. Thank you.
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I can help you with this. Can we continue tomorrow?

Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8, 10?

I can connect remotely to your computer and fix the issue directly for you for an extra of only $5, and we guarantee our service.

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,