Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

We are having problems printing envelopes on our SPC 430DN

Customer Question

We are having problems printing envelopes on our
Rich SPC 430DN
It is crinkling up the envelopes.
We want to print around 10,000 envelopes per month
Can this printer do an efficient job of this?
Is there an envelope tray for this printer that we can purchase?
If so does it work well?
Thank you!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your printer model can print upon envelopes, labels, card stocks and transparencies. So, yes, it does envelopes for sure.

But there are some factors to consider:

1. loading the envelopes correctly.

2. even more important, by the sound of it:

a. using the right envelope stock... some blank stock may not be as suitable for this printer as other stock.

and b. cleaning the feed rollers, esp. if your printer is fairly well-used (or, bluntly, old). Roller surfaces get inefficient at gripping paper with time, and a good cleaning can help with jam, crumpling, and such issues (as well as (a) above, using the right blank envelope stock.)

As for what envelope stock this printer likes... Ricoh-usa's website unfortunately is not responding at the moment, so I cannot quote accurate specifications.

I think giving the problem paper feed rollers near where envelopes are being crumpled, will probably help the most:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We want to print 10,000 envelopes/month. Is there an envelope feeder I can purchase for this machine? Can it handle this quantity?

There is some mention in related models e.g. the C431DN, that the Bypass tray can load 100 envelopes at a time, see this illustration:

http://support.ricoh.com/bb_v1oi/pub_e/oi_view/0001044/0001044257/view/hardware/image/cmc076.gif

That bypass tray, if it is built into your model, is ... well, built-in. It's already there.

As for envelope trays (or, large-capacity paper trays) for your model... I find no mention of such an accessory for your model, though an 'envelope feeder tray' (which looks just like a normal tray in the illustrations) is mentioned for the SP 4310N model.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.)