Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I'm getting a repeated error message on my Epson printer

Customer Question

I'm getting a repeated error message on my Epson printer (error Code 0x97. I've tried turning the printer off, then back on numerous times with no success. What does this message mean and how do I fix it?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What model epson do you have?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still on change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half that. Luckily, this is a newer model, so depending on purchase date you could still be under the epson 1 year warranty, and can file a warranty claim to have them repair it. Beyond that, you would just replace the printer yourself, it is not worth fixing out of pocket.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with contact info to file a warranty claim, or replacement recommendations at that point if needed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately that remedy did not work. And, of course, it's now out of warranty. Thanks for you help anyway.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome, and I'm sorry that didn't work out for you.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: or

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead:

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125:

while a color model is about twice that:

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?