John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My HP Deskjet 6980 stopped working, and I have a HP Deskjet

Customer Question

My HP Deskjet 6980 stopped working, and I have a HP Deskjet 6900 series disk. I was getting blank printouts of a word perfect file, which did not happen before.But, when I attempt to reinstall using the disk, the printer type does not appear.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does this happen from other applications also?
For color documents or photos, or just black text?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not that I am aware of. Just with word perfect X7 files, today. There was no problems yesterday
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have checked the printer settings on the computer. The HP Desktop 6980 is recognized as the printer to use.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I am asking you to specifically test other applications and some color items to print, please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
email prints okay
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Was that black or color, or a mix?

Can you go into your devices/printers folder, right click the hp, then Printer Properties, and click on the Test Page, and tell me how the windows test page comes out?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
mixed
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
test page printed okay
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

That may be the issue then,

I'd suspect there is a black/printhead issue here, and your WP program may be running in black/gray only mode.
Go try to print from WP again, but first look in your print settings. If it is set to black only or grayscale mode, unselect that (you can also mix some color into the WP doc).

Let me know how that comes out, and then we can address if it is a printer issue or a WP or driver issue.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?