Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

Hub 181 Reads paper jam open 1st side cover. Paper is not

Customer Question

biz hub 181
Reads paper jam open 1st side cover.
Paper is not jammed red light is on
maintenance 2
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The supplies life counter has gotten counted down to zero, according to what I found about the Maintenance 2 (M2) error. It signifies that it is time to do routine maintenance and ... well, do routine scheduled maintenance.

Hopefully that just happens to bring up a nonexistent paper jam message also, though that sounds improbable to me.

You can clear the M2 by entering service mode, then doing [CLEAR DATA], supposedly.

(I presume you do not need to be instructed how to inspect and remove paper jams from this model, but let me know if you do.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how do I get into service mode

Be warned: if you simply clear the error, without performing the scheduled maintenance, there will be problems by and by, if not sooner.

Service Mode on this machine:

First press the Utility button,

then scroll to 'Clear Data,' and then 'Supplies Data' and clear.

Then exit service mode by turning the machine Off for several minutes or longer. Be careful in Service Mode, don't change anything but what you intend to and know about, or the machine might be crippled!

The drum counter, the developer counters, and other counters (that dictate the life and the replacement-time of consumable replaceable components in the machine) will be cleared. If these are not actually replaced too, copy/print quality will assuredly soon deteriorate.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.)