Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My Printer EPSON WF 3620 reports error code 0xE5 : 1 ye ar :

Customer Question

My Printer EPSON WF 3620 reports error code 0xE5
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1 ye
ar
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: doesn't print. Makes funny noises, reports error code and asks me to switch it off and on which I have done several times
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Is the printer more or less than 1 year old?

Initially, there are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc). The error is specific to a printhead fault though.

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have replaced two almost empty ink cartridges and cleaned as suggested. However, in spite of two runs through the programm it will now print blue only. The other clolours are missing. Shall I try the cleaning once again?
After tonight, I will not be able to get back to you until Monday.
Thank you, H.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay that is actually a new issue, beyond the error codes,

These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it).

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step, but that usually is not productive as epson heads are not removable, and typically requires replacement. For warranty purposes, this is why knowing the age of the printer is important.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello H, Just checking in since it is monday now, do you need more help with this?