John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My Canon Pixma ip8720 is printing large areas of color in

Customer Question

My Canon Pixma ip8720 is printing large areas of color in stripes. I have aligned print heads and done all of the cleanings. How do I fix this problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Harold Hanna replied 10 months ago.

Hello Katie how are you today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im great how are you?

I am alright thank you. Did the cleanings make any difference when you tried to print again? Also, have you recently changed the cartridges? Is the paper you are using any different?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have just changed the cartridges and that didn't make a difference. I'm just using normal paper like I usually do
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no the cleanings didn't make a difference

OK give me a moment to look up your model of printer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok

To be more specific, I see you did an alignment of the printhead, did you do a printhead cleaning also? I know you said did cleanings, just verifying.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yea I did printhead cleaning, deep printhead cleaning, bottom plate cleaning, and roller cleaning

OK was just going to ask more specifically about the deep printhead cleaning. We may need to clean it manually. I am looking for a video or manual to detail how to remove the print head for manual cleaning.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok

OK please look at this website

http://mboesen.net/hardware/print_heads/print_heads.html

This should resemble your printer. If it is not close enough, let me know and I will find a better example.

What we will want to do is manually clean the print head. That website shows how to remove the print head. You will let it soak in water. You can also warm the water, and then mix a small amount of isopropyl alcohol in the water to better dissolve the ink.

It is very important that you do not get the actual electronics wet, you are only soaking the print head itself, where the ink is likely clogged.

Do not worry about the disasembly of the printer head. Just the cleaning part we are concerned with.

Please let me know if you have any questions I will walk you through any parts of this. I believe your print head is just clogged and this will likely fix it.