Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Says the printer head is not installed correctly or missing

Customer Question

Says the printer head is not installed correctly or missing for my HP 6700 premium. This is a common error message I take it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Just a message of. MISSING OR FAILED PRINTHEAD. Never had a problem before.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: Not under warranty anymore.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Lets try these steps first.. As they will sometimes fix the issue without having to replace parts.

1) take out cartridges
2) take out printhead
3) disconnect power and USB cable from back of printer while turned on
4) move power cord to wall
5) clean the electrical contacts on the carriage, printhead, and cartridges with water and coffee filter
6) power on unit without parts
7) when it says "missing or failed printhead" reseat JUST the printhead and see if it detects it
if it does install cartridges and enjoy!

Whether or not these steps work please send a detailed reply letting me know what happened, thank you.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.