Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

Microtek Scanmaker 4900. Windows 10. USB. Shakes hands with

Customer Question

Microtek Scanmaker 4900. Windows 10. USB. Shakes hands with scanner.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The scanner responds to requests to scan, and the light moves like yo would expect it to do, yet... the picture is black.
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Microtek Scanmaker 4900
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Used printer. bought over internet. supposed to be ok.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That's a bad symptom. It's possible that your scanner's image sensor, or associated circuitry, has failed. If so, the scanner will need either repair-servicing, or replacement.

The question, already asked, about how old the scanner is, is crucial (should it prove to be 'broken'.) Please let me know how long it has been since the scanner's date of original purchase.

What you can try doing:

- turn Off the scanner. Put it aside for several hours, with no power.

- on your computer, uninstall the scanner's driver and/or software.

- then restart your computer.

- then, re-install the scanner's driver (and/or software. I put it this way because some scanners have no driver per se, just software with a driver included in it.)

And then, after several hours of rest-and-resetting for the scanner hardware, hook it up and turn it On again, and see how it does.

If the scans still come out black after that, the scanner's image sensor circuitry is broken.

(If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A number of "experts" claim that the same issue has been sorted by looking at and changing the drivers for the scanner.
I am not the only one that has had this problem. Others seem to have their's fixed.
I have loaded the CD that came with the scanner, but Windows 10 is not mentioned as a platform for this model.
Microtek ScanMaker 4900. Have downloaded so called drivers from internet. Same problem.

I am sorry to hear that the refresh of the scanner's drivers on the computer did not solve the problem.

I admit I am out of ideas as to what else to try, though doubtless the keep-on-trying approach will yield some fruit... if only the conclusion that it is indeed 'broken', if that's what it comes to.

What interface is the scanner connected to the computer with? a USB cable, or a networked connection of some kind?

What program or software do you use to try to make the scans?