Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I changed ink cartridges on my Epson XP-610. Now it won't

Customer Question

I changed ink cartridges on my Epson XP-610. Now it won't print! Help
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you using genuine epson ink, or generic/refilled ones?

Does it try to print, but gives blank pages?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Genuine epson ink
Well, I'll be! I thought I'd better try again before describing the problem and it actually printed. On regular paper, cause I didn't give it the right destination. The only thing I see are some very fine vertical lines, not smooth. Is that because of the paper?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

No that isn't the paper, that points to a different issue with the nozzles, which can happen when the prior inks go dry.

You can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.

If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step.

Let me know how that works, and I'll advise further if needed.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's even worse than it was, long strips of blacks and strange color.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is the correct landline number
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

It isn't a matter of the phone number (I can't even see that), it is a payment issue. Until that is resolved and processed, I am unable to call.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have updated my information twice now. This is very aggravating. If it won't update, I won't get the needed help. How can we fix this problem?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I don't think it is a matter of information you are submitting, the payment isn't going through likely because of a hold on your card/bank, you probably have to contact them to tell them it is something you authorized.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The credit card charge has been cleared as valid.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay great, click on that call request again so I can accept it, please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The call request field $39 isn't showing on my browser page. Is the $24 call in addition to the $39? I want to know exactly where we're going---before too long I could just go to Best Buy and purchase a new color printer!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I meant the direct connection field--would accepting the $24 call be a better option for me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried to print once again. Now the printer is telling me to replace new black ink cartridges
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I would go with the call, it will cost you less and be more productive.

It is in place of the remote session, not in addition

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I can't do much for you remotely anyway, the call would be a better way to work through this.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I buy new black ink cartridges first?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

You will need to put a new one in, if it is asking for one, before we can do anything else.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay. I'll get back to you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thanks. If you want to accept the call part now, that will save you having to come back on here, and you can just call me when you have that done.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One last question--what the display says is that it doesn't recognize either of the black cartridges, even though they are Epson and have been in place some weeks. Does this mean my printer is more trouble than it's worth?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

It may be. There is a difference between needing to replace because the ink is low/empty, versus not recognized. Perhaps I misunderstood your last note of it needing to be replaced.

If not recognized,

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The message actually just changed to not recognizing. Weird.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It still doesn't recognize the cartridges. I'm off to Walmart to buy a new color printer. Aargh!
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for trying.

If the cleaning didn't help, then yes a new printer makes more sense. This model is at the end of its life anyway for a 2013 printer, and is not worth fixing (around $150 to repair).

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/208LtQk or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?