Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

My lexmark 5400 series printer does not work after windows

Customer Question

my lexmark 5400 series printer does not work after windows 10 was updated from windows 8
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Sadly, there really is nothing to be done here.

Unfortunately this printer is not officially supported in windows 10.

All lexmark inkjet printers were discontinued many years ago and are no longer supported by them in any form. Lexmark will not be releasing a windows 10 driver.

You can attempt to use the older win7 driver, but will have limited functionality at best (draft quality black prints only, no scanning, no advanced options, etc). Even the win 7 drivers are no longer available from lexmark for download however. Unless you have a saved copy from a prior install, your next best option is to try to let windows auto detect the printer and select a suitable built in driver, though windows is not supporting these either.

Realistically replacement of the printer will be the only practical option here, unless you want to roll back to a prior version of windows, as there is no current or future support planned for these machines, and this is a 9 year old printer model that was designed for a maximum service life of only 3 years. Even if you could get it working for now, it is so far past its service life that components like the printhead and absorber system will be expected to fail any day now, and ultimately require replacement anyway.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: or

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subisized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead:

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Kim?