Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I am using my Brother MFC-5890CN with a new windows 10 pc

Customer Question

i am using my Brother MFC-5890CN with a new windows 10 pc and the scanner will not work in scan to file. it just gives the message on screen "connecting to pc" but nothing happens. i have checked the software is all installed, using the Brother website's guidance. I have rebooted and reconnected the printer. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: no i don't think so. it was all working fine before on the old pc and it's printing docs OK.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

I think the BEST way to help you is with a REMOTE SESSION, so that i can SEE your screen, and have a much better chance at being able to fix this issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
let's try and do it without connecting up

Okay......

YOu were describing that the "SCAN to FILE" is not working.....is that correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
correct

I also see you are using Windows 10.

And because this printer was made BEFORE windows 10 was released, you may have some issues with using this printer with Windows 10.

.

With that in mind......did you install the correct drivers FOR WINDOWS 10?

You should have gotten these from the Brother Website.

I found this notice on the Brother website about your specific printer:

.

Windows® 10 Compatibility
If you upgrade from Windows® 7 or Windows® 8.1 to Windows® 10, some features of the installed drivers and software may not work correctly. Please uninstall all drivers and software in Windows® 7 or Windows® 8.1 before upgrading to Windows® 10.

If you are not able to print or scan after upgrading to Windows® 10, reinstall the drivers.

My only suggestion here is for you to REinstall the drivers and software for the printer.

.

Meaning you must FIRST UNinstall the software and drivers from Windows 10.....THEN REinstall them, using the software and drivers provided on the Brother website.

There are 2 versions of SW/drivers for that printer for Windows 10

32 bit, and 64 bit, are the 2 options.

YOu must figure out which Windows 10 version you have (32bit, or 64bit).....and THEN download and REinstall the corresponding SW/drivers from the brother website

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i went on the site and downloaded the drivers. but it told me to do a check on the software by going into printer prefereneces and seeing if the advanced tab was there, in which case i had the latest version. do you think i should reload the print driver software?
this was a new pc pre-loaded with windows 10
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I checked and its 64 bit

Yup, i think you need to UNinstall the software, and drivers....and REinstall.......just to be sure!

Its a normal practice to REinstall software and drivers, and many times solves the issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK I'll try that

How do i know you will do this correctly?

That is why i wanted to do the REMOTE SESSION.....so that i could SEE that it was done properly......but even if you DO the REinstall....it will always be in my head that it could have been done improperly.

How technically proficient are you?

Have you had much experience with removing software? What about installing software?

Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 8 months ago.

Hello, i would just like to touch base with you.....Would you kindly rate my performance please.

Thank you!

Hello Again,

its been 5 days since our last correspondance, do you still need some help on this?

.

Did my suggestions/Answers work for you?

.

Please...take just a moment to reply.

Thank you!