Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

Just wanted to fake out the scanner unit open sensor on

Customer Question

just wanted to fake out the scanner unit open sensor on epson artisan 800 so I could observe the point at which the post fails.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I want to power up and watch the power up sequence with the artisan 800 cover open. but with it open it won't run post. how can I fake out the cover open sensor?
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: with the cover closed, it runs through a post for a long time, maybe a minute, with things running inside, then goes clunk and says paper jam or other problem, clear jam & cycle power.
JA: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The answer to your question depends upon which cover you wish to have open.Is it the cover over the interior of the printer, where the carriage carrying the ink cartridges moves back and forth?Or, is it the cover over the scanner glass sheet, which is a much lesser cover and does not open the interior of the printer? If the first, you may not succeed for various reasons. But the second is easier: such a sensor is usually a tiny pressure switch located near the hinge of the scanner cover. If it is not that type, then it might be a magnetic sensor (magnet-and-switch pair type) located almost anywhere along the rim of where the scanner cover comes down (and the corresponding part of the pair, located on the scanner cover's rim itself.)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wanted to cancel the request because shortly after entering the question, I figured it out. It is a hall effect transistor, located in the top section that contains the scanner mechanism and it lifts to change cartridges, vs the base that remains fixed. What had me faked out was that the sensor was located in portion that lifts instead of in the base.
Now I need to find out what locks the head to keep it from moving out of the right hand landing area. It is not locked there throughout the extended post. only in the final portion of post. The head moves back and forth from end to end several times during post. Then it sits in the right hand landing area for a while, then jumps slightly to the left where it is stopped abruptly with a clunk. (The printer has done a lot of printing. The ink pads had filled. I changed them and reset the ink counter. Epson recommends not changing the ink pads because the printer is probably about to wear out. But I don't believe this is a wear out situation. Maybe some solenoid is not activating. I almost think it is Epson software saying dump the printer and buy a new one. Maybe I should look for a software update.) Actually, I have two printers with exactly the same symptom. The second one had indicated that I need to "change the ink pad soon" when it failed, but I have not done changed that one. BTW, I defeated the open top sensor by taping a magnet to the sensor area. (it is on a post that protrudes down and fits into a recess in the base.) The more I think about it, I think that perhaps in addition to resetting the head ink count, there may be something additional that needs to be reset.
I think the scanner bar stopped with an audible noise because an emergency safety halt was issued. That could cause the works to stop so suddenly that it makes a noise as if it had run into something. Does the scanner fail with an error message, after making that audible noise as it stops? if so let me know the message's full and exact text, please. The scanner bar should not move back and forth the whole range of its motion *several* times I don't think. The whole situation suggests that either the control circuitry in the printer is 'broken', or else a sensing of scanner bar position is failing to register properly, causing the scanner bar to halt abruptly, once the circuitry has realized that the position sensing has indeed failed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You misunderstand. the problem is not in the scanner unit. I merely needed to lift the scanner unit to allow access to the printhead and printer mechanism.
It is the inkjet print head that moves back and forth a couple times during the "power on self test" prior to hanging up on the right.
It moves left and right, the CD holder (you can insert CD's and print on them) moves up and down slightly, the paper rollers spin and stop, they spin again and stop, they spin again and stop. Sometimes at different speeds. Etc. It is a lengthy "power on self test" (POST). The final thing is the inkjet print head rapidly moves about 1/4 to 3/8" to the left and crashes to a stop. Whereas normally you can usually move the print head, - you can slide it from side to side, at this position and at this moment in time, there seems to be a high resistance point to moving it any further left.
I moved the head powered up a couple times to observe the sequence again and there are some additional operations I didn't mention such as sometimes the paper rollers turn in reverse...and discovered that the print head doesn't fail at that point of resistance, but still has a grating clunky sound when it fails.
The prior message on the printer screen said "a paper jam may have occurred, or an error has occurred. clear the paper jam, turn off the power, wait a few seconds and turn on the power. for details, see your documentation." The current failure message has deleted all reference to a paper jam.
Right. I understand now.It sounds more like a conventional 'carriage jam', now.At the point where the print head moves to the left and stops (or, is stopped, apparently), do you see anything that might be protruding upward at some time, enough to stop the print head in its tracks? Is there dust in the printer under the carriage assembly that carries the print head back and forth?And, is there a thin plastic strip, clear but with minute cross-hatching in it, suspended between the left and right hand ends of the carriage assembly's range of motion, and does it appear to need dusting in the least? if so, turn the printer Off, unplug it, and gently wipe off that thin plastic strip, without putting much force on it or it may break, e.g. with a little bit of cotton waste moistened in rubbing alcohol.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I already cleaned the carriage position ribbon with alcohol. I don't see anything contributing to a jam. and it moves the print head carriage back and forth 2 times before it fails. I'll have to get back on it later. Right now I have to do 8 hours of lesson planning for my students in the next 5 hours. It probably will be tomorrow or later before I get back to this problem.
OK. Get back to it at your convenience. Thanks.