Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.

My ip90 is giving me a 5100 code... it makes a strange sound

Customer Question

My ip90 is giving me a 5100 code... it makes a strange sound first?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today. The issue may happen because of the following reasons. An ink tank(s) is not seated properly.Paper is jammed or there is an object inside the printer.The printer needs to be reset.Or the encoder film/strip may need to be cleaned. So, first check if the ink tanks are seated properly. Follow the instructions below. Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there. Second, check if there a paper is jammed or any foreign object inside the printer. Find the instructions from the link below. If the issue still persists, follow the instructions below. There is a thin (1/4"wide) plastic strip running across the width in front of and below the drive belt. This is part of the optical encoder that tells the print-head where it is. If you look closely, there are fine black vertical lines on this strip. If the strip gets a piece of crud on it, you get an error during the start-up sequence. Gently clean this strip with a damp lint-free tissue. This also fixed a gap in the printing running lengthwise (not across the page like a clogged head). If the issue still persists, try the following. The last solution is to grease the track the print carriage slides along. Apply grease to as much of the track as you can reach without disassembling the printer and rub some along the underside of the track. You will probably still get the error at first, but keep opening and closing the printer so the carriage slides back and forth and hopefully it will go away after a few tries. If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!Thank you!S H E F I N
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It will take me some time to complete all of this... what do I do if it doesn't help?
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.
Hi, Take your time and let me know the response. If the issue still persists even after following the above instructions, the printer needs repair. Thank you.S H E F I N