Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

After changing the black #5 Ink cartridge on my IP3500 it

Customer Question

After changing the black #5 Ink cartridge on my IP3500 it printed 2 sheets (rather poorly) and then the power light went out and won't come back on. I plugged and unplugged both ends of the power cord several times. I also plugged a portable lamp into the other side of the outlet and the light worked fine. What's going on?
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: In the middle of packing for a cross country move & I need to print labels for my boxes & time's running short. Help!
JA: Glad to hear it. What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: Printer is a Canon ip3500. cartridge is a Canon PGBK #5
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I didn't print a test sheet first. Also, it's my wife's printer & She will do a great job in letting me know how unhappy she is when she gets back home.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life. At this point the printer is at 3 times its intended lifespan, and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it. There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluationunplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then releaseIf this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?