Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

I have a Epson L555 JA: Sometimes things that you think will

Customer Question

I have a Epson L555
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My printer turns on. connects to my mac (only buy USB cord for some reason) and it won't print. It will start for a few seconds then stop and then printer says "printer error - please check your documentation"
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: When that happens, the the ADF, power, and wifi lights start flashing
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Only the above.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for using Justanswer.com. Can you tell me, if the cartridges can move freely or not ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I dont think so because it is not photocopying. Also when I opened the lid, the link didnt move and it was stationary.Thank you for your repsonse and help
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the response, I am also doubting that. Now, turn off the printer then try to move the cartridges with your and let me know, if you can do that or not ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As this is epson L555 - I can't remove the cartridge as the cartridge is refillable ones. I have tried to turn it off and turn it back on. Still does not work and it still stops after 5 seconds of printing.
Thank you for your time Sudipto. it is very much appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried to upload a video of the problem but the file is not compatible with the upload. Basically the same thing has happened with attempts of photocopying - the ADF, wifi, and power light all start to flash. Cheers, Michelle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.
I did not ask you to remove the cartridges I asked you to move or slide them with your hand after turning off the printer and let me know.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have tried that but I dont really get what you mean by sliding them out. I tried moving them as much as possible. Thanks for your help even on a weekend. Really loving justanswer :)
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for trying that, if you are unable to slide the cartridges from their homing position even after turning off the printer then, unfortunately, the problem is related to some mechanical fault and it can be related to the waste ink absorber, which is fitted just under the homing position of the cartridges or it can be the carriage motor, belt etc. in one word the problem is related to hardware parts of the printer. This problem can be fixed by replacing the defective or damaged parts, but the cost will be the main factor because the repairing cost of any printer is more or equal to the price of a new printer and cost go higher with the age of the printer. Now, if you want my personal opinion then, I will suggest you replace the printer if it is more than 3 years old. If the printer is less than one-year-old then, you can get it replaced from Epson free of cost. If you want to repair the printer at home then, I can help you to get a service manual for the printer, but I don't know if you will get the defective spare in any stores or not and honestly speaking, unless you completely dismantle the printer, it is impossible to say which part is defective as this problem can be caused by many things.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does move a little bit but not much, is there a way I can fix this? e.g. go into a store and get the waste ink absorber?
Also is there another way to confirm that it is the waste ink absorber issue
Thanks :)
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your response, the problem you are facing is can be caused by paper jam or by any foreign object in the path of the cartridges, but as you do not see anything at all on the path and cannot move the cartridges by your hand, it means they blocked from the bottom and honestly speaking, as I cannot check the printer physically I can only give you the answer from my experience. Unless the printer taken apart, it is almost impossible to tell, if something else is blocking the cartridges or not, but in 95% of cases like this the waste ink absorber is the main culprit. Yes, as I said before you can repair the printer at home but for that, you have to dismantle the printer and then, you have to take the defective parts to the stores to get a exact replacement, but it will be little difficult, if the printer is more than 3 years old.