Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I tried to set up the fax feature on my printer to send

Customer Question

I tried to set up the fax feature on my printer to send faxes using my home phone. I went through the process of setting it up and then I didn't have the connection from the printer to the answering machine. So I abandoned the idea of using the fax. But now my home when called emits the solid sound like you're connected to a fax so no one can call in. Need to get it back to being just a phone. Not sure how to reset the printer/fax machine so it's not connected to my home phone. My printer/fax machine is a HP Envy 7640.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I am aware of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Do you have an actual telephone cord going from the HP to a phone jack?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I never connected one.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
If you did not actually connect a phone line, then it is not possible for the HP to be the source of that noise, it is coming from something/somewhere else.Double check that the only thing connected to the HP is the power cord, perhaps usb to your computer, or ethernet to your router/modem. Note that ethernet is not the same as phone, the plug looks similar but is about twice the size.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.Nathan