Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I cannot format Excel documents correctly to my Canon IP110

Customer Question

I cannot format Excel documents correctly for printing to my Canon IP110 printer. I recently switched to Excel 2013 from Excel 2010.
All other office 2013 documents print fine. I did try printing the 2013 excel files on an Epson printer and it worked fine.
Any Suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 6 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not at this time
Would you like to be instructed then?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
quot;In Page Layout tab set it to "Scale to Fit" and change 100% to 99%.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That doesn't work........This I an Excel spreadsheet that I have been using for 3 years, I am near export level in formatting.....when I switched from Excel 2010 to Excel 2013 this problem showed up but only on my IP110 Canon Printer. The formatting works fine if I use another printer..
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
expert no export
I'll have to opt out then and open it to other experts. once an expert responds, you will be notified by email.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.
if it works on other printers than the problem might be the settings for the printer.i am thinking things like margins might set it off or if you had fit to page set on one or the other or portrait vs landscape.can you explain in more detail exactly how the formatting is off? that would give me a much better idea of where to look.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It isn't the margins....it says there are 512 pages.......I have been formatting excel for15 years......this document has been locked down for years.......there are more than 200 people using this file
that still doesnt tell me much. i assume that there should be a lot fewer pages ? it could be the margins or the page size. or any number of thingsif you printed one or 2 pages you might see what is happening. I can definitely fix it for you if you allow me remote access. All i can tell you is that there is nothing special about that printer that it wont print excel correctly. It has to do with the way the printer is set up. does it maybe have a setting to do photo's on 5 x 8 sheets? if it defaults to that than there will be a lot more pages.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry....you must not have read the previous links......
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I use the printer everyday to print this page........I changed over to office 2013 from 2010 to create the problem.....all other office docs print just fine...
Well that might be an issue. But the only way to see what is wrong is to look at what it is actually printing and then figure out what about it is wrong and then figure out why it is doing that. a print preview might help. You need to know what it is trying to print before you can figure out why that is not what you want it to print. and yes margins can do that. if the page has been formatted for a certain size in excel and the page it is trying to print on is a quarter inch smaller than it will print the page minus one line then print the next line on a full page and then do it all over again. and it can do that in both horizontal and vertical to make it come up with tons of pages with no information on it It can also be printing the entire spreadsheet of 1000 rows and columns of blanks when before it was defaulting to only the used area to print. You can fix that by defining a print area as on this sheethttps://support.office.com/en-ie/article/Set-a-print-area-on-a-worksheet-27048af8-a321-416d-ba1b-e99ae2182a7e you can look at the print preview and see exactly what it is trying to print and go from there to see why it is different than what you want to print. It is late here and i am heading off for the night. If you want to accept my offer than i can fix it for you tomorrow in about 20 minutes tops. Otherwise you can either look at the things i have told you to look at. or you can just be angry because it doesnt work now and it should.