VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

I have a thick black one on the right side of the paper when

Customer Question

I have a thick black one on the right side of the paper when printing and I don't know
how to get rid of it. please help
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sorry for the issue. Please explain it to me from the beginning.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I changed the cartridge and went to print and there is a wide black line on the right side of the psper
OK, give me a few moments please.
Please follow the steps below: Please check the following points:Clean the corona wire inside the drum unit by sliding the green tab. Make sure the green tab of the corona wire is at the home position.The drum unit may be damaged. Put in a new drum unit. The toner cartridge may be damaged. Put in a new toner cartridge. The fuser unit may be contaminated.Have you done the steps above?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I slide the green tab. and put it on the end at the right side.
I don't know what the drum unit is
it is new cartridge just got it
so now the line is much narrower along the edge of the right side of the paper
OK. good to know.. So we will need to try cleaning the Corona Wire once more,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
slide the green tab again several times and the line is still on the edge of the right side.
now it is saying the toner is low and needs to be replaced I just got it today!!
OK, did you do a toner reset? If not, please do the following: How to reset the toner cartridge settings on a Brother MFC 9120CNMake sure the printer is turned on.Open the cover using the blue ‘handle’ at the front of the machine. You don’t need to open it much — you’re not getting into the cartridge area and you’ll need to access the control panel.Press the Clear/Back button on the control panel. Press the up or down arrow key to scroll through the list of toners. Note: K = Black, M = Magenta (pink), C = Cyan (blue), and Y = Yellow; each has an option for STD and STR.When you get to the toner you want to reset, press the OK button. I choseK. TNR-STD to reset the message about my black toner cartridge and allow me to print again.You get two options for your selected toner — 1 to reset and 2 to exit. Press1 on the numeric keypad of the control panel to reset the toner.Close the cover. The printer will go through its warm up cycle again and your beeps, messages, etc. should be gone AND you should be able to print again using your existing cartridge.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good message is gone but still have black edge
OK, still as thick as it was or it it thinner?
Is it thinner?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thinner about 1/4 "
The information is from this link: http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000024334&ProductID=MFC9125CN&Keyword= A. IDENTIFY AFFECTED COLOR 1. Press MENU, BLACK START, MENU in this sequence within 3 seconds. The LCD will display 0. 2. Press 6, 8. The LCD will display M68_L. 3. Press OK. Wait a few seconds and the machine will print the Test Pattern. Below are two examples of the Test Pattern: 4. In Test Pattern 2, there is a white vertical line in the magenta section of the printout. Determine which color has a white vertical line in the pattern of their printed Test Pattern: black, yellow, magenta (red) or cyan (blue) section. 5. Open the top cover on the machine by lifting up the blue handle (1) located below the control panel. The handle has a white arrow on it. Open the top cover until you hear a click. NOTE: Always be sure to completely open the top cover of the machine before attempting to remove or install the drum unit. The top cover is completely open when you feel it "snap" in place and does not require support from the user in order to keep it open. The machine should be used in a location that does not restrict the opening of the top cover (away from overhead file cabinets, etc.). Failure to completely open the cover when removing or installing the drum unit may cause it to become stuck or damage the machine. 6. Remove the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly for the color with a white vertical line in the test pattern and remove a drum unit and toner cartridge assembly for a color that printed correctly with no vertical lines in the test pattern. NOTE: We recommend you place the drum unit and toner cartridge assemblies on a clean flat surface with a sheet of disposable paper or cloth underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner. 7. Switch the installation of the drum unit and toner cartridge assemblies by installing the color assembly that is printing the white vertical line into the slot for the color assembly that is printing correctly. Then, install the color assembly that is printing correctly into the slot for the color assembly experiencing the white vertical line. For example: If a white vertical line is appearing in magenta and no lines are appearing in black, yellow or cyan (blue), remove magenta and black. Then, install the magenta into the black slot and install the black into the magenta slot. 8. Close the top cover. The LCD should still display M68_L. 9. Press the OK to print another Test Pattern. After the Test Pattern prints, press STOP/EXIT. 10. Look at the Test Pattern. The order of the two colors you switched in STEP 7 will now be switched from the original Test Pattern. For example: If you switched magenta (the color with the white vertical line) and black (the color with no line), black will now appear where magenta originally printed and magenta will now appear where black originally printed. Determine which color the white vertical line is now appearing on the new Test Pattern. - If the white vertical line is appearing in the same color as the second Test Pattern, continue to STEP B CLEAN DRUM UNIT. - If the white vertical line is now appearing in the reverse color, go to STEP 21 for warranty options. B. CLEAN THE DRUM UNIT 11. Power the machine off using the ON/OFF switch. 12. Re-open the top cover until you hear a click. 13. Remove the two drum unit and toner cartridge assemblies that you reversed in STEP 7. NOTE: We recommend you place the drum unit and toner cartridge assemblies on a clean flat surface with a sheet of disposable paper or cloth underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner. 14. Look at the drum unit and toner cartridge assembly of the color that experienced a white vertical line in both Test Patterns and clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the green tab on the top of the cartridge from right to left several times. Be sure to return the green tab to the home position. 15. Push down the green-labeled lock lever and take the toner cartridge out of the drum unit. 16. Locate the red roller inside the drum unit (1) (OPC drum roller) and locate the drum unit gear on the left side of the roller. Turn the drum unit gear with your thumb or finger while looking for any dust, label or glue like substance on the surface of OPC drum roller. 17. Using an alcohol pad or cotton swab lightly moistened with isopropyl alcohol, clean the entire surface of the drum. If any dust or foreign substance is found, be sure to wipe the surface until all dust and foreign substances are removed. 18. Reinstall the toner cartridge firmly into the drum unit until you hear it lock into place. 19. Reinstall both drum unit and toner cartridge assemblies into the machine by sliding it into the correct slot, matching the toner cartridge color to the same color label on the machine and power the machine back ON. 20. Print a test page by pressing MENU, 4, 2, 3, and BLACK START.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
isn't there an easier way I don't even know what you are talking about----sorry just a little ole lady
OK, you are in the USA. So, I would ask the closest Major City nearest you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ask them what?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where are you I am in Portland Oregon
OK. Would you desire to take the printer to a local shop to have them do the steps or would you prefer to have some one come to you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
come to me do you know the cost?
OK, there are two local companies near you: THE PORTLAND PRINTER PLACE INC. 1340 SE POWELL PORTLAND, OR 97202Phone:(###) ###-#### ***** OFFICE 8455 SW BEAVERTON HWY PORTLAND, OR 97225Phone:(###) ###-#### ***** as to the cost each company may have different rates. You will need to give them a ring to find out the exact rates.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you I appreciate your help. I will call them tomorrow and see what happens . Good night where ever you are.
Oh, San Antonio Tejas (Texas). Good noght to you also good Madam..