Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I can't print from my computer anymore. Is it because I dropped

Customer Question

I can't print from my computer anymore. Is it because I dropped my land line?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a Canon MX870 printer and a MacBook Air.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The yellow triangle comes on, but I can't fix it....I've tried for couple months. Can you help??
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  tyroneboman replied 6 months ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.I can check on this for you with a secure Remote Screen Connect Session. Please let me know if you would like to do that and i will send you the info.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, added expenses make me nervous.
I found negativ reviews on this site
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is*****'s try first resetting the printing system.Choose System Preferences and then Print & Fax.Position your mouse over the list of printers.Hold down Control and click the mouse.Choose Reset Printing System from the popup box.Restart your MacBook.Give that a try and let me know what happens. We might have to do one more thing after your MacBook reboots to get it to work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cancel
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did as directed, now it wants me to add the printer. I'm not sure what to put
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Go ahead and re-add the printer
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
It's actually going to add two devices: one for the printer and one for the scanner
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Click on the + to add a printer.Click Default and give it a few seconds to locate the printer (and the scanner).Select the printer and choose Add.If you also want to add the scanner, go back, click the +, select the scanner and choose Add
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I go to systems preferences, printers & scanners, and I get this page that asks me to add to set up a printer. When I press the add button it won't let me type... Plus I don't know what to put for name, location, and use
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
When you click the +, does it display a list of printers?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing but a page that asks for
Name
Location
UseBut I can't type anywhere on the page
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
So Default is selected and the lower portion of the screen is blank, right?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Blank except for lines, and then those 3 words
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
What version of Mac OS are you running?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a MacBook Air laptop
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Fromn the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Right below "OS X" it shows the version.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, I should have given you those instructions to begin with.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
For example, it might say:OS X El CapitanVersion 10.11.3 (15D21)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OS C Yosemite
Version 10.10.5
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry. OS X Yosemite
10.10.5
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Can you open a new browser tab and paste the following in for the URL:https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx-series/pixma-mx870Then under Drivers & Downloads, choose OS X Yosemite v10.10 for the operating system and download the two driver files listed:MX870 series Scanner Driver Ver. 16.1.1a (OSX)MX870 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 11.7.1.0 (OSX)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How? Sorry, I'm not very computer literate.
Open a browser? As in safari?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Yes, sorry, I tend to talk more "Windows speak." Do you know how to open a new tab in Safari? When the new tab opens, you want to paste the address I put there into the address bar. It's all one line, even thought it might wrap on the screen.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
How's it coming?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got into Canon
Get product support
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Frustratinf
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry. The URL should have taken you to a screen where you could download Mac drivers for the printer. Did it not take you there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is a ULR?????
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Have a look at this screen print
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
And this one.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Am I supposed to enter those into safari to see what you are talking about?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
When you open the new tab in Safari, you should paste the following line into the Address bar:https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx-series/pixma-mx870Technically, that is called a "URL."You should get a screen that looks like the first screen print I sent at the top of the page and the second screen print at the bottom of the page.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
Can I email the two files to you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great! I have gone to it 4 times, never got what you showed me. Thank you
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
What's your email?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry...***@******.***
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
OK, let me know when you get them. You'll need to download the files to your computer so you can use them during the installation process. It might take a few minutes because they are pretty big files.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Haven't gotten your email yet
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
OK, they are really big files, it might take a few minutes, I'm sorry it's taking so long.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problem, thank you
Expert:  Steve replied 6 months ago.
I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to go until the morning. I hate to leave you hanging like this. What you'll want to do is to run the two files, which will install the printer drivers for the printer and scanner. I'll opt out of this question, and maybe another expert will pick it up from here so you can get it resolved tonight.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was just going to write to say I need to babysit grandkids in the morning, so have to quit too.
Good night, thanks
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.
Do you still need help on this issue