John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have an Epson Artisan 730 printer. I've had it a few years

Customer Question

I have an Epson Artisan 730 printer. I've had it a few years & it has worked very well. All of a sudden in the last couple of months, it stopped printing photos. It still prints all other jobs but photos come out all smeared and spotty. Is there something I can do to correct this problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. If you make a photocopy, direct from the glass (test with a photo), does that come out ok?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You mean a scanned photo?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No - scanned photos or photos from my computer both come out the same - blurred
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
No, I mean a copy.Put a document/photo directly on the glass, and make a photocopy, this does not involve the computer at all.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know what you're talking about. There's: copy, print photos & scan. Those are the choices. If I put a photo "on the glass" as you say & push print photos, it asks where my SD card is.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
I'm referring to a copy. Please make a copy and let me know the results.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A copy of what? You are not being clear. I can print documents - any documents - I just can't print photos - from my computer or from the scanner.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
A photo. When I asked you to make a photo copy, I meant to make a copy of a photo. Please place a photo face down on the glass and press the copy button, then the color/start button.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I do that - it wants to print on an 8x11 piece of paper. I repeat - I am not having trouble printing on regular paper - I'm having trouble printing on photo paper.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
That appears to be new information.You mentioned trouble printing photos, but not specifically on photo paper, which changes things. When you print a document, if it is in color, or if you print a photo on plain paper, do those come out ok?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes. Plain paper printing is fine but photo paper is smeared.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Okay, that is typically a matter of an incorrect setting then.When you do photo prints, are you telling the system that you are using glossy or photo paper?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes I am
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.
Okay go into the setup menu and run the alignment function.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. I have already tried all the obvious things. I was hoping that there was a tweak on the printer that might be off and you might know what settings to change. But it seems like you only know the obvious things that I have already tried. So thanks for your time. I have other fish to fry.