Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

Epson - Workforce WF-3640. - I purchased the Printer last

Customer Question

Epson - Workforce WF-3640. - I purchased the Printer last August for the Loudonville Fair. I have not been able to get the fax part to work. We really don't need the fax very often but at fair time it is nice. The phone and fax use the same line, I have talked to the phone company and they tell me the line is ok. When I run a test to see if everything is connected it comes back everything passed. - meaning Product Hardware check, Phone cable, port check, phone line connection, dial tone detection. Is there any way that you can tell if the fax part of the printer was maybe not installed right?
Thank You
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.Make sure that the phone cable, the cable coming from the phone line service that is, is plugged into the right port on the Epson printer.There may be two ports, very similar, on the Epson printer. If so, you need to connect the phone line to the one labeled 'L' or 'LINE', not to the one labeled 'P' or 'Phone' or with a phone handset logo. In a working hookup of an Epson printer as a fax, and a voice phone on the same line, the phone cable from the phone service goes to the 'L' or Line port on the Epson. Then another phone cord goes from the 'P' or 'Phone' port on the Epson, to the voice phone. And that hookup will work. But: if you have a digital phone service, such as MagicJack, or Vonage, or VoIP, or UVerse, or Comcast phone service, the phone service itself might be the problem... digital phone service does not support faxing in all cases, and some machines, otherwise capable enough and functional, cannot do faxing over digital phone service lines. (Also, if you have DSL or ADSL internet over the phone line, you need a DSL filter in the line between the Epson and the DSL modem. But that's another story, and let me know if that's the case, so that I may instruct you in more detail.)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The phone line is hooked to the port with the L, the answering service is hooked to the port with the little phone. We do have a DSL filter already on the line. I unplugged everything, turn the printer/copier/fax, scanner off and back on. When you start to fax it rings and rings, and rings, just doesn't go thru. I am about ready to just not use the fax. If you have any other suggestion other than just not using the fax. Thanks for the help.
That's good. Try a different DSL filter on the line, between the modem and the fax-and-phone hookup, in order to filter out the high-frequency DSL filter signal from the fax device. DSL filter occasionally go bad, so this is the best next thing to try, by the sound of it. Also check and re-seat all phone cables leading to the DSL filter and the fax device. Let me know how that goes, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank You. ***** did not respond before now. I am not in the office every day. I will get another DSL and see if that works.
Yes, try another DSL filter. When you are given a DSL modem by a DSL-service-providing-co, they generally have at least two or three of them in the box. One at least of them is to serve as a Spare filter, in case of the failure (evidently) of one of the others.Whenever you get back to the office will be fine. Just let me know how it turns out, please. Thanks.