Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers

Code fix after turning on and off the machine..suggestions?

Customer Question

Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 months ago.
Hi Lynn and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Error 0x97 is FATAL and it indicates there in issue with print head or logic/main board. If anything is causing the print head to not travel completely from left to right during startup, it may cause the error code. This also happens if the logic board or main board of printer is failing or has failed. Paper jam, foreign objects on the printers like paper clips etc which disrupts the movement of head,carriage or other mechanism can also cause this. It is not saying about a specific part, but it is indicating there is an hardware fault. 90% of the times, 0x97 indicates an hardware issue. To make sure this is not firmware or software related, please try the following. Turn off the printer for 20 minutes and also disconnect it from power. If the error is not going away after turning it off for 20 minutes, then try the following. 1. Open the cover and remove all the ink cartridges and also remove the print head (if removable). Then look for paper pieces or other foreign pieces like paper clips, dust etc and clean if any. Check then. 2. If that didn't work, then off the printer and unplug the power cable. Then clean the print head thoroughly with as mall amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab. Dry it with a clean and soft paper. 3. Also clean the print head-to-printer connectors (anything metal-looking) with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Dry it for 30 minutes. 4. Turn on the printer, put the print head back in the printer and insert the cartridges back. After that turn off the printer for 5 minutes and also unplug it. This will reset the firmware which rule out software issues if any. If it still not working, then I'm sorry you have to send it back to Epson for replacement of main board or head and components. I'm really sorry, this is something that we can't fix online if the above steps doesn't work for you. If the printer is more than 2 years old, then it is not worth to replace the board or head and components. You should get anew printer because it has more life for the components than current printer and you will get afresh warranty where repairing/replacing existing components doesn't give that. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please let me know