Michelle
Michelle, Printer Expert
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I just got my Canon MP-101 all in one. I have followed the

Customer Question

I just got my Canon MP-101 all in one. I have followed the directions but when I turn the printer on to continue the screen shows Support Code 5101. This indicates to remove the protective material if it is attached to the holder and turn off power and back on. I had already removed the clear and orange tape but I double checked the entire unit and didn't find any. I turned the printer off and back on and it sill shows the same Support Code. What can I do? Thanks for your help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.The error code usually comes up after paper jam on printers.The error indicates 2 possibilities, either their is something stuck or a sensor detecting the paper jam issues has faulted.Please try the below stepsfirst of all please turn off the unit....unplug the power cablenow remove the cartridge...manually slide the carriage assembly\ printhead back and forthalso clean the rail against which the assembly slides with a tissue ensuring that there is no ink residue on itclean the golden contacts of the cartridges and the printhead with a cotton swab dipped in little alcoholNow check the paper feed tray, roller assembly area and the area where the carriage moved for any stuck obstruction like paper, paper clips, pins etc and if found remove it. You may blow some air in these areasonce done turn the unit back on and checkif even after performing the above steps, the error continues, then an electric sensor that detects paper jams has faulted. If the unit is within warranty cover get the unit serviced through CanonIf the unit is out of warranty, then you may contact a local repair store for service.However, sensors repairs\replacement in such case is costly and it is more cost effective to opt in for a new unit.
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.
i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest cleaning and reset steps but cannot make a bad part work againI hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the stars on top right of the page and hit submit. If you are unable to follow the steps i gave feel free to ask or reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further. Thank you.