Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I have a Brother printer. My black ink has stopped printing.

Customer Question

I have a Brother printer. My black ink has stopped printing. I changed the cartridge and no black printing. I did a test and the colors print but no black. I even tried another new black cartridge and still no black print. What should I do? Thanks for your help.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think you should try a certain cleaning procedure that I have found to be often helpful in this sort of situation. In outline:1. Clean the (black) printhead.2. Wait 1/2 hour to several hours or overnight, leaving the printer On but unused (no print jobs, etc.)This allows waste ink to soak into the printhead and hopefully dissolve dried ink etc.3. Clean the printhead a second time.4. Wait again (as in step 2 above) for 1/2 hr. to several hrs., printer On but unused.5. Clean the printhead a third time.Then test whether black ink is showing up at all in prints at this point. If it is, even faintly, then repeating this procedure will (eventually, at the cost of a certain amount of ink wasted in the process) clear up the clogged printhead. After that fails, if it does fail, what you need to do is to decide whether replacing the printhead, which is most likely clogged with dried ink (and replacing which will cost something considerable) is better, given the printer's age, or whether it would be more preferable for you to replace the printer altogether with a new one (and hopefully recycle the old printer, always a good idea.) So try the triple-cleaning-with-wait-times that I recommended, and get back to me if it doesn't work for you, so that I may advise you further.