VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

I have an HP4620 printer and the black ink will not print.

Customer Question

Hi. I have an HP4620 printer and the black ink will not print. It is a bonafide HP cartridge, but for some reason, only the colors will print. I do my business in black only and all of my printouts are blank. Faxes will not print out either. I have pulled the cartridge out and put it back in. I have powered off the printer and restarted it. I cannot figure out why only the black cartridge will not print.
Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Sorry to hear of the issue, I am happy to assist you in resolving today. Your PC is Windows or MAC?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is Windows
Please follow the steps below: In the software program you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print. The Print dialog box opens.Select your product, and then click Properties. The printer Properties dialog box opens.Click the Paper/Quality tab.From the Media drop-down list, select the paper type that matches the paper you loaded in the product.From the Paper Size drop-down list, select the option that matches your paper size. For example, if you have legal paper loaded in your product, select Legal 8.5x14in.Click the Advanced tab. The Advanced Options dialog box opens.Under Document Options, make sure that Print in Grayscale is set to Off, unless you are printing in Grayscale intentionally.Click OK, and then click OK again to apply the settings.Click OK from the Print dialog box to start the print job.
Let me know of your results.. If this does not work We have other steps to try...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It only printed out one word that was readable and that word was in color.
OK, please follow this link and skip to step #6: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03137135
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know if you got my reply, but I did the print quality test and the black does not show up at all. The colors are vivid, but the test page is incomplete. I tried running the clean printhead cycle, both preliminary and secondary. Still no black.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh yes, I also cleaned the vent on the black cartridge. There did not appear to be any clog.
OK, Since te Black does not show up. Do you know how to do a Printhead Cleaning??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just did that and I'm waiting another half hour to do it again, per the instructions from the HP site. Nothing shows ujp on the print page except for the little color boxes at the bottom. No Black
Ok. Since that is the case, are you adverse to purchasing another Print head?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that something that I can install myself? Or do I have to take my machine to an HP servicer? Also, how much are they?
Yes and the replacement is less then $20 on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221496983636?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true What are your thoughts??
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. I think I will give that a try. If I still have problems, would you recommend the next step to be a service stop or a printer replacement?!
Printhead replacement. There is a clog in the Black Nozzle that must be dissolved or the Printhead replaced.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much. I'm sure it wasn't easy just interpreting my descriptions to come up with suggestions. I will be purchasing a new printhead.
Excellent Sir or Madam....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's Madam, thank you. I'll be signing off now and just to reiterate, I did NOT choose to take part in the free trial period, nor do I wish to be on the month to month plan. Thank you and bye for now....
OK, that is not an issue Madam. I only ask that you rate my service for you. Three Stars or better would be nice.