Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I cannot find the status monitor. The print was grey not

Customer Question

I cannot find the status monitor. The print was grey not black. It printed only part of the letter. Brother LC980 OR DCP 197C
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: Tried to put on windows 10 but driver was wrong - though windows 10 said everything would be ok. But I did reinstall the driver then, I think. perhaps I missed out a vital step.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think the status monitor in question would be where the Ink Levels are shown.On a Windows computer, you find statuses of ink levels in theControl Panel - Devices and Printersand find your Brother printer's icon there, and right-click on that icon, and choose Properties. Then in Properties, you look for the tab with the Ink Status - it might be the Maintenance tab perhaps. It sounds as if you could, possibly, have a black ink cartridge that is low on ink, and would need replacing in that case and if so.Has the printer been turned Off and disused for a while? if so, that may have dried up the ink a bit. Let me know what you find out, please, also. I will advise you further. Thanks.