Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I am seeking advanced troubleshooting from someone

Customer Question

I am seeking advanced troubleshooting from someone thoroughly familiar with Canon Image ProGraf printers, in this case an ipf8300. I have just replaced both print heads and the ink after a long period of inactivity, and am having two problems. First, the printer is smearing certain colors on the page, as if the print head is outputting too much ink, which then accumulates on the bottom of the printhead and smears. Adjusting the printhead height to maximum and suction to maximum doesn't solve the problem. Second, I am getting banding when printing images, which has not been addressed by adjusting the print quality. It's not a nozzle clog as it was present b4 replacing heads.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The smearing onto the page might be happening owing to1. use of the wrong ink... e.g. 'clone ink', or 'compatible' ink supplies. I presume that isn't the problem, though.2. the paper being not firmly held, and bulging upward against the printhead.3. the wiper, that the printhead scrapes against in its resting position, being positioned too low, or worn out, missing, etc.4. defects in the printhead control circuitry, making it output, as you said, too much ink. As for the banding... That could be a voltage regulation problem, or it could be related to (4) above, a control circuitry problem. Or the printers you got, if refurbished, could possibly be defective in that way. (Or doubtfully, you might have the wrong printer selected or the wrong printer driver... I really don't think it's that, but it could be checked.)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Russell, thanks for the fast response. The ink is genuine canon. The printer was purchased new back in 2010. It worked perfectly for a long time though we have had a modest level of use, but then we had a period of disuse, maybe 18 months, from which I am trying to get it revived and up to spec. I had to buy new inks and print heads to get it going, as it ran some of the inks out doing the automated maintenance cleanings. But Istill haven't been able to get these problems eliminated--yet! The results haven't changed much with the brand new print heads, which surprised me. Changing the vacuum setting to maximum and the head height to maximum doesn't seem to fix the smearing. #3 from your response, the wiper for the print head--that's a new possibility I haven't considered - I have removed the cover to expose the resting area for the print carriage but don't know what to check for specifically for the wiper or have the expertise to judge if anything is misadjusted or missing-what would be the next step to ruling out that as a possibility? I am sure the print driver is the right one. The firmware is also 1.26, the latest for this model. What should my next step be to rule out a problem with the control circuitry? Thanks for your help! James
In carriage home 3.jpg, the left (with more color on the rectangles) also has more ink spattered or wiped onto the part just above the colored rectangles in the picture. Could that be the ink wiper?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Russell, When I posted my question I specifically requested help from someone with in-depth experience with the Canon Prograf printers. My sense is that your expertise is more general and not specific to these printers, which I really need to resolve this issue. Thanks.
That's OK. I thought you needed someone to respond, and chimed in with my thoughts on the matter. I have now Opted Out, opening the case to someone with specific experience with Canon ProGraf printers (wide-format).
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.
just a quick thought before i opt out as wellBut have you checked the waste ink ?as in its full or there are pads that are supposed to be on the sides where the printhead hits them and they are missing or misaligned ?