Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

I have the Brothers printer Brother MFC-L8850CDW.

Customer Question

I have the Brothers printer Brother MFC-L8850CDW. For some reason I cannot get it to print from my computer - but my husband was able to send something from his phone and it printed. So, I am thinking there is something wrong with my settings...can you help?!
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. What happens when you print ? Are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is saying that the printer is not responding
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
It is possible that some jobs in queue got stuck. We can clear it. Are you using an Apple Mac or Windows PC ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
apple. i don't think so, but I will try whatever you think is best!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
lets try to do it this way. i don't want to do a trial, or connect virtually if i can do it with your help
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
It is optional. You don't have to subscribe or accept remote connection if you don't want it. I will walk you through it. First we can reset your printer and see if it works or not. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.Open Print & Fax or Printers and Scanners or Print and ScanControl-click (or Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu (or hold down Option key and click - button at bottom left and click Reset Printing System) After resetting,your Printer will disappear from the list. Click the + button in there (in left corner) and add it back Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i don't mind paying for this service call, but i don't want to be tied into any subscription.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Both subscription and remote assistance are optional. You don't have to subscribe or accept remote connection if you don't want it. I will walk you through the steps here. First we can reset your printer and see if it works or not. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu or from the Dock.Open Print & Fax or Printers and Scanners or Print and ScanControl-click (or Right click) on list of printers on the left side of the window, then choose "Reset printing system" from the contextual menu (or hold down Option key and click - button at bottom left and click Reset Printing System) After resetting,your Printer will disappear from the list. Click the + button in there (in left corner) and add it back Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
waiting for it to reset. stay tuned!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It still isn't working. it says an error occured
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
What is the exact error you got ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
How is the printer connected to your Mac ? With cable or wireless ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think it just said an error occured unable to connect
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
wireless
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Disconnect the printer from Power and wait 2 minutes. Also restart your router. Then go to System Preferences > Print and Scan and do you see the printer there ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, will be back when done
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, going to reconnect power in about 30 seconds
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Also restart your router/mode,m
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is not there - but I can add it back in. i need to choose a driver - should I do auto select or select softward
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
It is supposed to be recognized automatically. What drivers do you see there ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Also what version of Ma OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i clicked on automatic and it went to AirPrint. didn't work. :( Here is the message
An error occurred while trying to add the selected device. Unable to communicate with the printer at this time.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
AirPrint is limited in function. You need to Choose Brother driver. What version of Ma OS X are you using ? Click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
El Capitan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
10.11.1
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Download and install the latest El Capitan driver from here --> http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcl8850cdw_us_eu_as&os=10018 Download the Full Driver & Software Package Open the downloaded file and follow the instructions to setup it. Setup your printer using that application if asked
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
oy geez. ok. this is annoying!
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
I know, somehow your Mac lost its connection with printer. The above steps will reconnect the printer with Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
How is it going ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there? I finished the install....still no printer
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is still saying the printer is not responding
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
Connect the printer to your computer with the USB cable, go to System Preferences > Print and Scan, add the printer and does it show the printer there ? If so, what drivers does it list ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't used the usb cable - I have to find it. but i want it to be bluetooth.
this is actually a brand new printer. i have only had it for a few months and it has always worked with bluetooth
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have to run - can we resume this another time??
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
You need to setup it with WiFi not bluetooth. I want you to test it with USB cable, this will tell us whether the issue is with the printer or with Mac side. Yes, we can continue later. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later direction.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.
directly* I mean