Shefin, Printer and Office Equip. Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

I have a Canon PIXMA iP6000D. It ran out of ink on the yellow

Customer Question

I have a Canon PIXMA iP6000D. It ran out of ink on the yellow cartridge. I replaced the cartridge but when I turned it back on I got a 5100 error. It told me to shut the printer off and then turn it back on; which I did and I keep getting the same error. I've even unplugged the printer while it was on and still get the same error. Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today. The issue may happen because of the following reasons. An ink tank(s) is not seated properly.Paper is jammed or there is an object inside the printer.The printer needs to be reset.Or the encoder film/strip may need to be cleaned. So, first check if the ink tanks are seated properly. Follow the instructions below. Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there. Second, check if there a paper is jammed or any foreign object inside the printer. Find the instructions from the link below. Remove Jammed Paper From Duplex Transport : https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART157938&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1462468739895 Remove Jammed Paper from the Cassette iP6000D : https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART160071&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1462468739895 Remove Jammed Paper (Sheet Feeder) iP6000D : https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART159637&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1462468739895 Then, reset the printer. Turn off the printer, unplug all its cables and wait for 5 minutes. Then, plug in the cables and restart the printer. Check if the error remains. If the issue still persists, follow the instructions below. There is a thin (1/4"wide) plastic strip running across the width in front of and below the drive belt. This is part of the optical encoder that tells the print-head where it is. If you look closely, there are fine black vertical lines on this strip. If the strip gets a piece of crud on it, you get an error during the start-up sequence. Gently clean this strip with a damp lint-free tissue. This also fixed a gap in the printing running lengthwise (not across the page like a clogged head). If the issue still persists, try the following. The last solution is to grease the track the print carriage slides along. Apply grease to as much of the track as you can reach without disassembling the printer and rub some along the underside of the track. You will probably still get the error at first, but keep opening and closing the printer so the carriage slides back and forth and hopefully it will go away after a few tries. If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!Thank you!S H E F I N
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There was no paper jam. I tried everything else you proposed and still got the same 5100 error. The one thing different I tried was to leave the top of the printer up, which it recognized; then I put the top down and the message on the screen said I had the wrong print-head. This is the same print head that came with the printer and I've used for the last two years. If you think I may need a new print head, could you check on the availability and cost.?
Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question. I amCustomerand I look forward to helping you with your issue today. If you get error says wrong printhead, the issue is with the printhead and you have to replace it with a new one. You can removing the printhead, cleaning the printhead and the place where it seated. Try the instructions in the link below.https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART161293&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1462472252243 However, purchasing a new printhead is not always worthy, because the printhead is costly and it is better to get a new printer instead. If the printer is old, I would suggest you get anew one instead of repairing the printer. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. E.g. http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Canon-Printhead-Qy6-0050-Ip6100d/dp/B00BRFMGOU Thank you.S H E F I N
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have done everything at least twice that was in your reply and nothing has worked!
Expert:  Shefin replied 8 months ago.
Hi, It seems that you need a new printhead. However, purchasing a new printhead is not always worthy, because the printhead is costly and it is better to get a new printer instead. If the printer is old, I would suggest you get anew one instead of repairing the printer. Thank you.S H E F I N