JKalman
JKalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

My canon printer will print only the first two inches of a

Customer Question

My canon printer will print only the first two inches of a page and then lose connection
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: This has happened with two different canon pixma printers. I print somethings, like a pdf or .docx, it will begin connecting to printer on the dock, states printing page 1 for 1-2 seconds, and then states connecting to printer again. At this time, only two inches of the page prints and the page is released.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I'm using a Macbook with the El Capitan software
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is the make and model of your printer?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a Canon Pixma MG7720.
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
I will be online this evening. i can assist you with this then.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay.
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
Ii apologize for the late hour. Are you using a wireless connection between your printer and your router? Have you tried restarting your router to improve the signal quality or signal strength? How far away is your printer from your wireless router?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's okay. Yes I am using a wireless router. I have restarted it. I have also checked the signal, which is strong. The printer is about 20 feet away in another room.The odd part is that if I restart my computer after not using the printer for a while, it will work. But if I do not restart it, it won't work.
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
I recommend that we uninstall your printer software and download and install the latest version from the Canon website.
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
The only way to get a clean installation on a Mac, after using your Finder > System Preferences to display your Printers and delete the print server icon for your printer, is to again use your Finder to locate the folder containing the software for your Canon PIXMA MG7720 printer drivers and delete the folder and all the printer files. Otherwise, when you attempt to download and install the new drivers, your computer will find the old ones and install them instead. I have seen this happen during a secure remote desktop support session that I conducted recently. When you are ready, use this link to download and install the MG7700 Series Full Driver & Software Package (OSX):https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/pixma-mg7720Follow the onscreen directions and select a wireless connection. When the installation has completed, you will be able to print a test page.
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did what you have recommended, however now I am unable to download the driver. First after starting the setup, it says "Information Acquisition Error" so then I restart. If I am able to make it to the point where it is downloading, at 25%, it states unable to install and prompts me to start over. I did this about 3 times and it is still not working.
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
Open your Printer window and select Reset Printing System. Then restart your computer. That should allow you to download and install the printer software without any errors. Please let me know if you are still having problems after resetting and restarting your system.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is no "Reset Printing System" button anywhere when opening the system preferences and then printer tab. I did restart my computer and complete the download. Now when I print, it prints one page and states "Support code 306: A communication error has occurred. Make sure that the printer is plugged in, powered on, and properly connected to your computer. Then try printing again."Which I did, and it keeps repeating that error!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, the reset printing system button is not evident when opening the system preferences screen. You have to right click anywhere in the screen for it to pop up. I completely reset my printer, then re-deleted the canon software, reset the printing system, and re-downloaded the software. So far, it is working. However, it is after going idle that the printer stops working, so I will let you know in a day or two if it continues to malfunction.
Expert:  JKalman replied 7 months ago.
Sorry about the misdirection regarding the Reset Printing System command. On previous versions of OSX, it was done by holding the CMD down while selecting the -R symbol. I knew that it was easier on El Capitan, but I had forgotten the details. Thank you for the feedback. I knew that Reset Printing System deleted ALL the printers, but now I have proof that it does much more than that, because it seems to have fixed your printer communication errors. If you are satisfied with my advice, I would appreciate a Good or Excellent rating. If you have questions or are having problems, please let me know, so that I can provide you with the additional support that you need. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service. I ONLY GET COMPENSATED FOR MY TIME AND EFFORT WHEN I RECEIVE A POSITIVE RATING!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, two days of not printing and I try to print. The printer STILL DOES NOT WORK. I get the error 300 and then error 306. Obviously, reseting the printing system and re-downloading everything has not worked. This problem has not been solved at all.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried restarted my routing. now, it is only printing half the page again or not connecting to the printer at all.