Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Cannot receive fax. sender of fax gets rings and then a busy

Customer Question

cannot receive fax. sender of fax gets rings and then a busy signal
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Do you hear the fax ring at all?When someone tries faxing you, assuming you hear it, can you please press the green/START button on the brother, and let me know if it receives that way?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could you send a fax? The person helping is not answering my call. The fax number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry but I cannot fax you directly.You can send a test fax yourself to(###) ###-####and it will reply back with an automated response fax test
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No i don't want that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I pushed the start button after I heard the ring. The window said "receiving", (nothing received), now the display says "sleep 03:35 fax"
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Don't want what? Did you send the test fax out?Are you sure it was actually a fax coming in and not a regular phone call?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i don't want the secure remote assistance for $39. this is a fax line only. I have the machine set to fax only. I have not sent a test fax
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Okay, please do as I've asked and send a test fax from your machine to(###) ###-####and it will reply back with an automated response fax test
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I received a transmission verification report and the result was "busy/no response"
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
It is a public line provided by brother, so it is possible it really was busy. Give it a try in a few minutes again, please. When the line rings back (when they respond to you with a test fax, usually in about 10 minutes), give it a few rings, if the brother doesn't do anything press Start once.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it has been more than 10 minutes, nothing
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
still "busy"
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
try(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
same thing, transmission verification report result is "busy"
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Okay then there is something going on with your line.Can you plug a phone into the wall jack used by the brother and tell me if you can call in/out via it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found a phone and plugged it into the fax line. it will not call out. calls ring in.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Okay, so the problem is with the line here then. For that you will want to contact the phone company to have them address the issue on their end.Once that is resolved, if you have any further issues with the fax, I can help with that. --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?