John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

Pearl,JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I get periodic "broken pipe" messages when trying to print to an older HP printer from mac. problem is recent, with 2 different HP printers (photosmart c5100 and C7280). Many posts on different forums about this. Have tried the most common fix - reset printing system on mac, re-add printer. works for a while. sometimes starts printing again by itself after getting the error. printers are connected to local network via ethernet cable
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: hmmm. recently recycled one of the 2 printers at Staples as it was starting to have other issues. is that the problem - old and not well supported? also, at suggestion of one of the posts I downloaded and installed "latest" hp drivers from mac support site. not sure if that was smart. I have also read that regular mac OS upgrades do this for you, and I keep OS currrent. may have gotten older sw (had an older date)
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.Please send me a better desription of your problem so I can be sure of what you have going on there.Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Having trouble connecting with HP Photosmart C5180 printer from Apple MacBook. This is a relatively recent problem. The printer is connected to our Apple home network via CAT6 ethernet cable, directly connected to Apple Airport Extreme router. MacBook is running current version of OS X. Sometimes printer works fine from Mac, other times it won't connect, sometimes get a "Broken pipe" message. A google search reveals lots of chatter about this, going back several years. I'm guessing problem may be Mac-specific, though I've seen some posts from Windows users getting "broken pipe" error. Connections are all good. I am able to connect to a newer (and cheaper) HP D110 printer via our WiFi network (same router).I also scheduled a call with Apple support before I heard back from you. Talking to them in 25 min.Wondering if problem is that printer is relatively old, and may be hitting some compatibility issues.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
some HP posts suggesting resetting printers with Mac system preferences. This deletes the printer from the OS. Then re-add printer and re-boot everything. That has worked in the past, for a while. This morning it didn't work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Were you planning to reply? If not, please reverse the charge against my credit card