Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

My HP 251nw Laser Jet will not print and has a red X on the

Customer Question

My HP 251nw Laser Jet will not print and has a red X on the display lower right side. How do I correct this and allow printing?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac. If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows. Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Ive tried to accept your secure remote assistance request. It said payment failed, you may have to call your bank and approve the charge, then send the request again. Paypal always works as a payment option, if you choose paypal~ Due to site policies, I cannot connect until a secure remote connection offer is processed.. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Windows 7
Please advise how to fix my HP printer error without using Secure Remote as it is a printer problem not a PC problem.
Bob R.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
Question. Are you still able to print? If so, does it still print all colors? And when you say theres a red X, is that on the actual printers display, or are you seeing it in the print software on the computer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The display says printing document but does not and display on the top of the printer has a red X which is preventing the print to occur. How do I get rid of the red X so it will print. Can you ask HP on this as they will know? Bob R. Please call me(###) ###-####to discuss further.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
I can help you via written support for the initial fee Bob. Phone support or remote support are extra.. if you contact HP on this error they will simply tell you to replace the printer.. Have you tried unplugging the printer from power for 5 minutes completely , dont j ust turn it off. And then plugging the machine back in.. Do you still get a red X ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I will try that and advise.
Bob R.
No change as I unplugged for 5 minutes and still get the red X on small HP printer display on top.
Bob R.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for trying.
Bob R.
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.
This could still be an issue with the computer, partially. Have you tried deleting the printer from your computer, via the device and printers screen. And then reinstalling the printer? Also, have you tried uninstalling the cartridges, cleaning the contacts on the cartridges, and then reinstalling them? I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.
Does the printer display anything else besides the red x ?usually there will be another message that gives a better clue as to what the error is. The red x can mean anything from out of ink or paper jam to not being hooked up to the network