Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

I'm trying to install a Canon MX496 printer into a MacBook.

Customer Question

I'm trying to install a Canon MX496 printer into a MacBook. The installation happens successfully, but when I then go to print something, the Canon doesn't come up in my list of printer options, only the old printer I had. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Jane
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 7 months ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Is this a new printer?Is the printer connected to your Macbook laptop with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?Please reply at the box below. Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Viet,It's a new printer and it's connected to the Macbook with a USB cable
Thank you. Please try the following fix:Make sure the printer is powered on and connected to the Macbook.Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.Then open Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax.)Click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, and it should detect your Canon printer, then add it.See if you can print something now.Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did that, but the printer didn't appear when I pressed +
Sorry, are you currently able to make a copy from the printer's glass (not printing from the laptop)?Can you make sure the printer's USB cable is securely connected (pushed all the way in) on both the printer and the laptop?If needed, connect to another USB port, if available, on the other side of the laptop, then click on the + (plus) button and see if it detects the printer.Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Copying from the glass is fine. Another USB port used but still doesn't recognise.
Sorry, do you know if the printer's USB cable is working? Do you have another USB printer cable to try?Do you have a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive? If yes, can you connect it to the laptop, then check? This will confirm if the USB ports on your computer are working fine or not.Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Printing from glass is fine, still doesn't appear on print options list. Should I go to remote assistance?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There isn't any reason for the USB cable not to be working but I don't have another one to try.
I'll try to print something from A USB flash drive.
No, don't try to print something as the computer is not detecting the printer.When you plug the USB flash drive to the computer, does the computer detect the USB flash drive or not?
Please stay with me on this website. By the way, do you have another computer to test the printer on?If the USB flash drive works on your Mac computer, then it looks like either the USB printer cable is bad, or the USB port on the new printer is bad. If possible, you can get / borrow another USB printer cable to test.- Or if you have wireless at home, then we can set up wireless printer. Here are the instructions for wireless printing setup:STEP 1: Connect printer to wireless:- On the printer, please do the following steps:Press the Setup (tool / wrench) button on the printer.When the Setup menu appears, use the Left and Right arrow buttons to select option Device settings.Press OK.Use the Left and Right arrow buttons to select option Wireless LAN setup.Press OK.The printer will search for an access point / network.; (Note: If a message appears telling you to press the WPS button on the access point, press the Stop button on the printer.)After it completes the search, use the left or right arrows and select option Standard setup. Then Press OK.The printer will search for network again.When Select access point appears, use the left or right arrows to select your wireless network name. Then press the OK button twice.If there is a passphrase (security key) on the wireless network, you will be prompted to enter it in. To do this, use the numeric keypad. To the right of Enter passphrase will be :a.When :a is on the screen, using the numeric keypad will enter lowercase letters on the screen. To enter a letter, press the corresponding key until the letter you want to enter appears. For example, to enter the letter "c" you would press the number 2 three times.To enter uppercase letters, press the Tone * key once. :A will appear to the right of Enter passphrase.To enter numbers, press the Tone * key again. :1 will appear to the right of Enter passphrase.To enter symbols, press the Symbols # ***** repeatedly until the symbol desired appears on the screen.To delete a character that was entered, press the left or right arrows to move the cursor under the character to be deleted. Then press the Back (curved arrow icon) key to delete the character.After the passphrase has been entered, press OK. The printer will attempt to connect to the wireless network.If this appears, press OK to complete the setup.If the printer fails to connect, a message will appear telling you that the unit failed to connect to the access point. Press OK and verify that the network key has been entered in correctly. Make any changes if needed and press OK to attempt to connect again.- Reference:https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART117459&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1461483333620- You can click on the website below for video instructions:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8gzyZyRU18STEP 2: Add wireless printer to computer:- If you are able to do STEP 1 successfully, then on the computer, please do the following steps:Make sure the printer is powered on.Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.Then open Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax.)Click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, and it should detect your wireless Canon printer, then add it.See if you can print something now.When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,
When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,