Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

My Samsung CLX-3185FW is repeatedly printing the last received

Customer Question

My Samsung CLX-3185FW is repeatedly printing the last received fax, then paper jams on the 2nd blank sheet after all the content has been printed (so it goes through 4 pages each time, needs the 1/2 fed sheet removed, then starts over!). Have tried power down, it wont allow me to clear faxes ("not available"?). Have checked and the phone line has disengaged...the manual is unhelpful on this one.
JA: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The printer has previously had no issues with other faxes...this seems to relate to one source who has been sending me occasional (important) faxes. (I do wonder if it's something their fax machine is signalling to my device?). The printer is connected by USB to my Windows 8 computer, but it was off when the fax arrived.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.I suspect that the fax sent to you contains a legal-size or A4 sheet. That can cause these repeated printouts that never completely empty from memory, and so recurrently print out. The cure to this is to offer an A4 or legal-size sheet of blank paper (or four) to print the sheet that is producing a jam upon. Once that is printed, the hurdle will be past and the fax cleared out of memory.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem is, unfortunately, that the printer uses A4 paper anyway (and quite a lot with this problem). Oddly enough, the actual front sheet and message are on the first 2 sheets, which print OK, then followed by 2 blank sheets. That should be enough, except that the printer then insists on doing it all again, then jamming on the 4th sheet (2nd time around), which I must remove from the rear flap.....unusually though, the last 2 sheets (the 2nd time) are typically creased, in spite of using good quality, new paper. This is on a printer which usually prints well. I'm beginning to think my printer is possessed by a demon! Even withdrawing the power completely doesn't deter it. (Oh, BTW, my responses will be a bit out of time sync., since I am in Australia!). This printer doesn't seem to have the "single sheet" feeder entry port which older printers had for making special prints such as transparencies, otherwise I could try that route.
I cannot specifically explain the sheet creasing, but being two consecutive sheets, it may be because the page size in the sent fax now occupying your fax's memory, changed suddenly. Try common-sized Letter paper, instead. See what happens.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service or Remote Support at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)