John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I bought a new printer yesterday. HP Officejet Pro 8630. I

Customer Question

I bought a new printer yesterday. HP Officejet Pro 8630. I can print from my phone, and test pages print from my PC. But I cannot print anything else. All my printer shortcuts have padlocks on them. I made a new icon, but it won't work either.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Harold Hanna replied 1 year ago.
Hello how are you today? When you say you can print test pages from your computer, how exactly are you doing this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ran the HP Scan doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the icons for printing now have locks on them.
OK. What other documents are you attempting to print with the printer? Is there a certain application you are using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried different browsers: Chrome, Mozilla, Explorer, even AOL.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm just trying to print ANYTHING
Would I be able to remotely connect to see exactly what the computer is doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just installed the new printer yesterday. It works from my mobile phone just fine, so it's my PC that is the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have ideas I can try before I just have to pay more $?
Sure that is fine.
What version of Windows are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8
OK. Have you looked to ensure the printer is selected as the default printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
When you say everything is locked, can you explain that in more detail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, it worked yesterday. I printed from this PC from an email. I downloaded the content and printed tons of pages.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer shortcuts all have a padlock on them
What are the other shortcuts? Are they old? Usually there will be solely the printer you are using.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No idea
What are the names of the short cuts?
The new printer shortcut may have been deleted accidentally for some reason. It may also have been disabled.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The standard ones. General Everyday, 2-sided, etc.
Is this when you are looking at the printer display screen? Do you see the name of your actual printer listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
omg, yes. the documents are lined up in queue. everything is set to go except those locks. please, I'm not new to printers and such, this lock thing is new. I see it all over the forums, but cant find a solution that rectifies it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never mind. this just got stupid. I'll figure it out on my own.
OK I have to ask because I can not see what you are seeing. Have you tried going into Device Manager and removing the printer driver, restarting, and allow it to add it again?
When I asked the names of the shortcuts you said you had no idea. Then you said the standard ones. I apologize but I have to know what you are looking at and it did not explain. I would try removing the printer in Device Manager and letting it reinstall as it was just working yesterday.
Please understand there are many levels of people who use computers. You have experience with computers, many people do not even know how to use a browser. I have no way to know but I have to work at the most simplistic level first to best help all people. Let me know if removing from Device Manager helps you.