Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My HL 3040CN printer has some fading. Not very noticable much

Customer Question

My HL 3040CN printer has some fading. Not very noticable much on the first page but after than, in a small patch near top of page to right of centre becomes noticable. The cartridge has been weighed by supplier, and is more than half full, in fact about 90%. I have shaken it. Reset the printer to factory settings. After all that the printing still has light patch on the page. Not exactly the same place but nearly the same place. The drum has half life. Printing a text page is fairly light. - What do I need to do ? Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Aside from setting the controls to darker print, or disabling Draft quality printing in the printer's software on the computer, you may have - if the patch of lighter print is somewhat undefined at the edges and just fades gradually into normal darkness of print - a damaged or wearing-out drum.The imaging drum tends to fail in precisely that manner: a vaguely defined area, tending to be near the center of the page, that is lighter or 'faded'. This is due to degradation of the drum coating with age, for it gradually wears off with use. Also, it can be due to exposing the photosensitive drum to sunlight or other bright light for too long, and also it can be due to rubbing the drum surface (mistakenly trying to clean it, and wearing the special ... and rather highly toxic!... drum surface coating off), or getting it damp by breathing on it, etc. So despite the drum's half-life, you may have exposed it to too much light (which is the most frequent cause of drum damage before end of normal useful lifetime), and it will probably need replacing, for the prints to be full-quality once again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. I will go to the Cartridge and Cassette supplier and get a replacement. I think I will also take the printer in for them to have look. This will not be until the 2nd of May as I am not able to get there until then. Thanks again, hope you solution is correct.
Your courtesy is appreciated, and I hope the course you plan has a good result. Please rate my answer, so that this case may be closed. Thanks.