Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

Had a ADF jam on HP OJ Pro 8500 A909n. Needed to partially

Customer Question

Had a ADF jam on HP OJ Pro 8500 A909n. Needed to partially disassemble the feeder assembly. Must have damaged or moved the Document Feeder Cover sensor - Get "Cover Open" message won't clear Printer works but message will not leave screen. All i really need is how to bypass this and use up the 2 months of ink I have before replacing the printer - The ADF never worked well from new. Thanks for any quick bypass info that you may have, John Stopa
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. That is most likely to be a signal wire not getting its signal through about either the cover sensor status, or about the status of some other sensor... there are several covers in the ADF feeder, and one must be sure that they are all closed and in proper position.But often, when working on the feeder, one strains on the wire harness connecting the ADF parts and sensors and motors with the rest of the printer. That can cause this sort of problem too. There is no way to 'turn Off' the top cover, nor the ADF feeder. I suggest that you go over what you did, and also try to give the wire harness from the ADF some slack, and/or re-seat the connector from it as well as examine the wires for strain or breakage. This will necessitate some work, I understand, but this is what is basically necessary in such a case. There is an alternative though: to recycle your ink, and use HP's abundant options for returning the printer for cash, for re-use, or several other options. (Scroll down a bit, and look for several tabs with the options on them.)