Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

NOW THE EPSON 645 SAYS OUT OF PAPER. REFILLED, BUT CAN'T RESET

Customer Question

NOW THE EPSON 645 SAYS OUT OF PAPER. REFILLED, BUT CAN'T RESET THE OUT OF PAPER STATUS.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty feed drive motor/gear/belt, etc).What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. First remove the input paper supply.Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply. Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed. Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.Please reply back here on this page when ready.Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Do you still need help with this, Jack?