Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

My Brother HL-5140 has

Customer Question

My Brother HL-5140 has a red Status light that will not clear. I tried everything on the Brother FAQ website (see below), but it is still red.
If the red status light (led) is on alone, this could indicate one of the following error conditions: Cover Open, Clean Drum Unit, or Red Status Error.
A. Cover open error.
1. Press the cover release button and open the front cover. Close the cover by pressing the right and left sides of the cover. Both sides will click into place and the cover will close flush. The Status light (led)will flash as the printer is being reset. If the Status light changes to solid green, try printing from the computer to test if the issue is resolved. If not continue to the next step.
2. If the Status light returns to solid red, disconnect the printer cable from the back of the printer. Turn the printer power off for 5 seconds, then back on.
3. If the Status light (led) changes to solid green, print the Print Settings pages by pressing the GO button 3 times. On the second page of the Print Settings, look for the Error History listing. If the Clean Drum Unit error is listed, go to step B to Clean the Drum Unit.
4. If the Print Settings page does not show the Clean Drum Unit error or if the Status light (led) remains red and the Print Settings pages willnot print, go to step C: Red Status Error Recovery.
C. Red Status Error Recovery:
1. Press the cover release button and open the front cover. Remove the drum and toner assembly.
2. With the front cover open press the GO button.
3. Install the drum and toner assembly back into the printer.
4. With the cover open press the GO button.
5. Close the front cover. The Status light (LED) will flash as the printer is being reset. When the printer is ready to print, the Status light (LED) will change to solid green.
6. Print the Print Settings pages by pressing the GO button 3 times.
7. If the printer cable is not connected to the printer, reconnect the cable. Try printing from the computer to test if the issue is resolved.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no sound from the printer when I open and close the cover. It will not reset. My laptop does not recognize it.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Only the Red light is on or any other light is on with that ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No other light.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** checking the Brother website, there it is written that this indicates, either the Front cover or the Jam clear cover is open, can you tell me, from where did you get that information, which you have tried so far , because I got confused when you said that, it indicates clean drum unit and red light status error along with front cover open.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got it from the Brother website: http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/Solution.aspx?FAQID=200000005581&ProductID=HL5140&Keyword=I have already tried opening and closing all covers.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** strange. IN the US site, the reasons are different and in the Internation site the reasons are different. Anyway, as per my experience the indicator light indicates a problem with the doors and it is caused due to the door sensor, when a sensor is defective the printer thinks, the door is open and show a false error message. Now, honestly speaking , as there are two doors unless the printer is inspected physically, it is very difficult to say which sensor is defective.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So that does not help me get a working printer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Since you cannot help me to get my printer working, do I get a refund?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
See this is an online platform and the problem you are facing is a hardware related problem, so, in this case, I can only tell you what can solve your problem because it is not possible for anyone to repair a hardware problem through Internet. If you think the information did not help you and want me to fix a hardware problem through Internet then, I am extremely sorry it is not possible.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand. However, I do not want to pay $33 to be told my printer is broke, and that it has a HW problem.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 10 months ago.
OK, but you may have to spend a $60 to $80 to hear the same answer if you have called a tech or send your printer to any repair shop. Anyway, if you do not like to hear that your printer is defective and then, I will send a refund request for you. But, do remember we are not magicians and solve any problem through Internet.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for sending the refund.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please let me know when the refund has been sent. Thanks.