Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of IT and customer support experience
15852642

My HP Photosmart C7250 will not print red. JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

My HP Photosmart C7250 will not print red.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No red ink comes out. I've checked ink levels and both magentas show full. I've run test pages and no red appears.
JA: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that'
s about it, just that it won't print any red colors.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** am sorry to hear you are having this problem. What happens when you try to print red?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's not that I'm trying to print just red, it's that when I print anything, no red color comes out on the paper.
Please try printing something only red and let me know what comes out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hate to sound stupid but how do I print just red?
Open a word document or something similar and change the font color to red type anything you like and try to print it out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It printed mostly yellow with just a few dots of red.
Press Setup, press the Down Arrow, press Tools, and then press OK. Press the Down Arrow to select Clean Printhead, and then press OK. Please let me know the results either way after doing this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did that twice before I contacted you folks and it shows 5 sets of letters and symbols in decreasing sizes plus 5 colored boxes - 2 blue, 2 yellow and 1 green.
There was no red or magenta/pink boxes at all? How old is the printer? Have you already tried another ink cartridge?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There was no red or magenta/pink at all. The printer is about 7 years old and I did try new light and dark magenta cartridges but got no red in print.
I was afraid you would say that. That would rule out the cartridge and even with an extended warranty you would no longer be covered. To fix this the carriage assembly would need to be replaced. It has separate nozzles for each cartridge which is why some are still working. Unfortunately you can not replace just one nozzle. This can be expensive and a lot of the time it is cheaper to replace the machine itself. The part alone normally costs between $80 and $120 not including any labor. If you decide to replace it I would be happy to help you find a new machine. If you would like to replace the part in order to fix the machine I can walk you through that as well and finding somewhere to buy the part. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site, HP, your machine or what is required to fix your machine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not what I really wanted to hear. OK thanks.
I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news but I also want to make sure I am honest and accurate with all the information I give you. If you have any questions at all about this reply to me and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site, HP, your machine or what is required to fix your machine.