Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

I have a Brother 8500 Fax. The screen reads "machine error

Customer Question

I have a Brother 8500 Fax. The screen reads "machine error 71. Can you guide me on what to do. I already unplugged the machine, pressed menu key while reconnecting plug, waited a few seconds and entered *91, waited a few more seconds and entered *99, but the machine makes a rubbing sound and will not work.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I have a Brother 8500 Fax. The screen reads "machine error 71. Can you guide me on what to do. I already unplugged the machine, pressed menu key while reconnecting plug, waited a few seconds and entered *91, waited a few more seconds and entered *99, but the machine makes a rubbing sound and will not work.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two? Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I am confused. Did you receive my message indicating what is happening with the machine?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. Can you give me the complete model number of the printer?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 11 months ago.
The machine error 71 message is related to the laser/ scanner unit motor. As the machine gets ready to print the laser / scanner motor starts rotating. Depending on the model they get anywhere between 20,000 and 40,000 RPMs. The machine watches for the polygon motor to reach its correct RPM’s before the laser starts writing to the drum unit. If the printer doesn't reach that specific speed in a certain amount of time then they display a 71 machine error on the display.There are two ways out there to fix the machine error 71. First, and the way I prefer to handle the problem, is to replace the laser / scanner unit. The unit is a pain to get out because it is located in the middle of the machine. For an experienced tech it shouldn’t be a big deal but for the average Joe, it could be overwhelming. For anybody planning on doing this that hasn’t done one before I would recommend finding a service manual first before disassembly. Your second option is to remove the laser / scanner unit take out the polygon motor (don’t touch mirrors or lenses) clean off the shaft the goes into the motor bushings and using a light oil lubricate the post and bushings. I prefer just replacing the unit for the 71 machine error because it’s not that expensive, it’s a pain to get out, and the clean and lubricate repair doesn’t always work. Sometimes it does, other times for a while or not at all. The choice is yours.The LSU’s for this unit are becoming increasing hard to find due to the age of the machines. Below I have listed the current replacement Brother models.If you need my opinion, I will recommend you to replace the printer with a new one, because the repairing cost of this printer will be high as the spare is not available easily and the replacement is a pain. Please let me know, what you want to do, otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.