Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have the HP all in one printer/fax/copier/scanner. It is

Customer Question

I have the HP all in one printer/fax/copier/scanner. It is for home use only and has been used minimally. Recently I tried to use it and it said "ink expired" and would't work at any task. I replaced all the ink catridges with brand new ones and it still says "ink expired" and won't function at all. Is there a way to reset it or bring it somewhere to be reset?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. What is the printer model?Are you using genuine HP ink, or generic/refilled cartridges?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Nathan
The model is hp photos mart C6180 all in one I replaced with HP ink
Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If yo can fix it by connecting absolutely
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You can't charge me you didn't do anything!!#!!!!
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Good morning, Debbie. Sorry I missed you last night, I was offline for the night by the time you replied back to me. A remote session is not likely to help at this point, but a phone call may. There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc). What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.Then reset the machine:unplug power at the wall outletwait 5 minutespress and hold the power/on button for 60+ secondskeep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ni sorry Nathan it didn't work
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for trying, Debbie. Unfortunately this then indicates a hardware problem,specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2006 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.At this point the printer has served its designed maximum lifespan more than 3 times now, and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Debbie?