John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Cant print on Brothers printer---say spool area full. spoke

Customer Question

cant print on Brothers printer---say spool area full. spoke with Brothers and they aid its a OSX problem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mac Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: trying to print on Brothers printer--keeps saying spool area full
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mac Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: just tell him i already spoke with Brothers and we did a walk thru of deleting printer and re-adding it --and everything worked fine on their side, that when technician said its an OSX issue
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 9 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yes
I sent request for remote service. Please accept it then follow steps here to connect with me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thank you
How do you want to be assisted (instructions)?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can't we speak thru text or online
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I of the want to pay $26 for your to remotely log in to my computer
We can. What is your OS X Version and the Model of the Printer?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
10.6.8 Mac--Brother Printer J870DW
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just to let u know --I already spoke with brothers and we deleted and reinstalled the printer and everything works fine on their end. That's when they said it is an OS X issue
Go to System Preferences -> Print & Scan -> CTRL + CLICK and choose Reset Printing System
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Already did that--it still says Spool Area full
How did you uninstall the brother softwares?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
While i was on the phone with the Brothers technician we followed the steps exactly what you just said. We reset the printing system (deleting the printer, re-installing the printer) and we got a new connection . We then tried a print test but it still said Spool Area Full
Open Terminal. Go to /library/printers and send me a list of the files listed.
OR go directly to /library/printers and send me a list of the files listed.
What they tried, were the usual steps. What's needed is to troubleshoot the issue; sometimes the issues is resolved by a straight forward re-installation.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Brother MFC-J870DW
Brother MFC-J870DW-1
HP Officejet Pro 8500 A909a
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The last 2 are always offline
Are you in /Library/Printers or are you in Print & Scan?Delete the printers listed in /library/printers and then reinstall them.I will need to opt out for now. If no other expert opts in, i will get back to you when i'm back.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Library/ Printer
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok I deleted the last 2 printers. I dont need them re-installed. The only one I use is the first one
You need to delete all three, and then we will do the reinstall. We need to do a clean install.
Also you said the last two are always offline, after i had you reset the printing system (none of them should have been listed in) Print & Scan as well.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok i have everything deleted---from Print and Scan and my library as well
Okay. Now to confirm this, it should'nt pick the driver up by itself - go to system preferences -> print and scan, and click the + sign and see if it picks the driver up or not.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok when I hit the + symbol, the add printer screen pops up and under Printer Name my printer is there
Try adding it back - if it's added, try printing if the error is still there then that means, it still has the driver stored somewhere. Go to Terminal, and use the commandsu find / -name *brother* and take note of the directory's it shows for the brother printer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its asking me for a password
that is your mac os x password
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it doesnt let me type in my password
it types, but won't show. just type it, and hit enter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
this is what it says after i type in my password:
-su: Sorry[Process completed]
Re-do the command, re-enter the password ***** then try.
That means, password *****'t correct.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know my password--it still doesnt work and i just tried 6 times
This only reason this happens is when a password ***** ***** correct. I think it would be best if i take a look at this issue remotely otherwise i can open the question to other experts who may be able to instruct. If issue isn't solved with remote (you have the option to request refund)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you sure the command is correct? the password ***** are referring to is the password ***** use to log on to my computer correct?
Yes, unless there is a different user that has administrative credentials. The command is correct.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am the only user of this computer--promise u
I will have to opt out as i've run out of ideas to try via instructions. I'll open the question to other experts (who may be able to instruct).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well i can tell you i just tried 4 different passwords that I have ever used in my life just to be sure and nothing works
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
why do we have to go thru the terminal--lets try something else
I've run out of ideas as i said. Please wait for another expert.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Kamil--this is what I see under my Library/Printer file:Brother
Canon
EPSON
hp
InstalledPrinters.plist
Lexmark
PPDs
Samsung
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
and there is a bunch of files listed underneath Brother. I must have misinterpreted what you meant or I was under the wrong Library/Printer
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 9 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Do you still needs assistance Sir or Madam? If so, I can assist you.