MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been fixing Printers and copiers for over 30 years.

My hl-6180dw started having grainy pictures after 27,000 pages.

Customer Question

My hl-6180dw started having grainy pictures after 27,000 pages. I replaced the drum. No help. Tried new drivers. No change.
I've used only Brother toner and drum, and the same paper from the start.
I see reports of a short fuser life for this printer. Is there a test for that?
I bought it Jan 2015.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I can help with the printer issue.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 6 months ago.
If the fuser is faulty, the toner would smear on the paper quite easily.The main problem when this happens is the printer needs a cleaning.Use a damp paper towel with water or Windex and clean the rollers. Start where the paper touches the printer and look for white, gray, and black rollers. Use your fingers to move the rollers as much as you can to clean them. Open the printer and clean the other rollers you can find as well.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 6 months ago.
Also, use an air compressor or air can to clean out the printer of loose toner.Make sure to do this outside as it will make a lot of toner fly around.Another thing to try is to clean the corona wire using just a plain paper towel.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Insulting. I clean out my printer every time I change toner.Just to be sure, I did it again with an air can as suggested (I usually use an alcohol wet towel). The image was no better.On Google I found user reports of early fuser failure on the Brother HL-6180DW printer, and Brother has extended warranty coverage for this problem. I mentioned that, but you ignored it.I wouldn't pay for your advice..
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 6 months ago.
Hi Different expert here, I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.How old is your HL-6180DW? As for the fuser, does the unit warm up normally with no errors? Thank youTech Michael