Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

My printer HP Color Laser Jet CP1518ni prints documents in

Customer Question

my printer HP Color Laser Jet CP1518ni prints documents in black ok, BUT it also prints a "shadow" foe every letter and number in an Orange color.
How can i take that shadow away?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. How far away is the 'shadow' in orange, from the original image / print in orange? a very short distance, or several inches or centimeters? As for printing in orange... that's unusual, since orange is a mix of two other colors, in such a printer... probably the magenta a bit, and the yellow a lot. What program or application are you printing from? if from something fancy like MS Word or WordPerfect, I would advise trying a print from Notepad, just plain Notepad, to see whether that shows orange shadowing also. Try a photocopy of a black-and-white original (text page or some such) *without* those orange shadows. Does the photocopy show any sort of shadowing? if not, then the problem is most likely on your computer. Let me know, and I will advise you how to try to go about fixing the problem. It might require either readjustment of your software, or reinstallation of your printer's drivers on your computer. (If the orange shadowing shows up in photocopies, then the problem is in your printer... and I'm not quite sure what to do about it, but further investigation may show us what to do in that case... non-standard toner being used, perhaps? at this point I'm not sure what would cause it.)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If the connection to the PC can be done for what i already paid, then it' ok
Please let me know: How far away is the 'shadow' in orange, from the original image / print in orange? a very short distance, or several inches or centimeters? Try a photocopy of a black-and-white original (text page or some such) *without* those orange shadows. Does the photocopy show any sort of shadowing? if not, then the problem is most likely on your computer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Before i do the secure connect, i would like to follow up on the previous deal we have.
if you give me an email i can take a pic and send it to you, but the shadows are just under the characters, almost overlapping, and sometimes are in 2 more colors, original black where you can see the whole character, just behind it blue shadows for each character, then a second shadow in orange, by the way what i printed out was a zipped file that came out with original black and 2 shadows, but when i print an email, most of it, the body comes out perfect, just the characters in black, except the "links" that are clickable, those come out in blue like they are suppose to, but they also have a single shadow., and Zipped files have 2 shadows like i said.
I'm not sure that a secure connection would help with this case. It's probably a printer problem. I think, frankly, that from the sound of your extended explication of how the printer is behaving, it needs Color Calibration run on it. You have described the problem well enough that I don't need an image of the problem any more. Here's how to run the Color Calibration on your HP laser printer: On the printer's control panel scroll to the right until you seeSystem Setupthen press OKand scroll to the right again till you seePrint Qualityand press OK;the first item in that menu isCalibrate Colorpress OKnow it will sayCalibrate Nowand press OKThe calibration process will start. This may have to be run a second time before quality is good again.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok i'll try that later, i have to go out now, we'll be in touch, thanks
By all means. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey Russell H.I just did the Color Calibration 2 times. like you said, but still is not printing with single characters, i still get the "shadows".
what else can i try?
thanks,
Nestor
If the toner cartridges (esp. the magenta and the cyan colors) are old, they may have worn away in their mountings and be mounted a trifle askew. But if they still have lots of toner in them, then remove them both, dust off the mountings / edges a little, and put them back in (note: if there is a shiny bluish-greenish metallic-looking roller in the cartridges, do not touch those - they damage very easily and irreversibly) firmly in their places. That may do something for the alignment.(If not, try another Color Calibration.)