Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

The blue light and yellow light keep flashing when I turn on

Customer Question

The blue light and yellow light keep flashing when I turn on the printer. It will not print. I have changed all of the ink cartridges. What shall I do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Michael.Can you tell me specifically which lights are on?Do you see any pattern to those lights, such as flashing a certain number of times, if they flash simultaneously or alternate, etc?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The yellow and blue lights on the front of the printer. The are both blinking - alternately. I have tried shutting it off and restarting the printer, but it starts blinking again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for confirming. Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy fix here. This indicates a hardware problem, specifically that that the internal "ink absorber system" is full. The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etcWhile it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 5 year old model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What printer would you recommend to replace this one?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
That depends somewhat on your needs.Are you primarily printing photos, or documents (every day use)?Do you need tabloid size prints, or is letter size sufficient?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I print both photos and documents. I need a large format printer if possible.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Sure, there are certainly options for that.For an all in one type: To stick with what you have in more of a photo focused format, this is the current iteration of your model: an alternate/better (more pro quality) recommendation: If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please rate my service; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan. Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,Nathan