Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I installed reinked office depot color cartridges hp

Customer Question

I installed reinked office depot color cartridges for my hp 5514 printer. the magenta and yellow carts quit working soon after. cyan was still working. of course the printer indicated non genuine hp carts installed. I installed genuine hp carts to replace the non working magenta and yellow. still not working. software wont clean printheads due to cyan being non hp cart. now the cyan is not working either. dont know why the new genuine hp magenta and yellow not working. they should be
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Printer Technician before I connect you two?
Customer: cant think of anything at the moment
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. These symptoms point to either a clogged/contaminated print head, or a faulty print head (or the logic board that controls it). This is common with refilled cartridges, and why they are not recommended - the pigments in them are not as fine as the genuine cartridges which leads to damage. Using refilled inks wears the printer out about 3x as fast as genuine ones. Try unplugging for a few minutes to reset, then install the genuine cartridges to proceed. Next you can try going into the setup/maintenance menu on the machine and running the “clean print head” function repeatedly, up to 5 times total, testing after each.If it still doesn’t print anything, you’ll need to do a manual cleaning as a next step. If you can't do the automated cleaning at all, we could skip ahead to the manual steps. I have to caution you up front though that the manual cleaning process is messy and time consuming. It also has a low chance of success, if you see no improvement at all from the automated cleaning. It is most likely a hardware failure (bad head) which the cleaning can’t fix, as printheads are a wear item and do fail with time/use. Realistically, it’s probably time for a new printer. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising. While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. That said, it doesn’t hurt to try, if you wish. Let me know how the built in cleaning function works, and I’ll guide you through the manual steps next, or I can recommend replacement options if you prefer. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Do you need more help with this?